R. Dollieslager's English 111 Weekly Schedule,
Spring 2002

nine one one o one: never forget

"Imagine there's no countries; it isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for . . ." John Lennon

"From a distance, you look like my friend, even though we are at war." Julie Gold

"Friendship" an essay by Afghani student Ahmad Bahrami, form Spring 2000, English 111 class

Last Updated: 29 April 2002, 10:30 a.m.

Week One

First, take this link to read about how to identify thesis statements; then press the back key to return here.
Second, read this essay about succeeding as a student, and write out the thesis or identify the paragraph in which the thesis is located.

Set up an email account you can access from anywhere

Geocities registration and workshop
Instructions for registering with Geocities for web page building.
Instructions for uploading a document file to Geocities Web Page Builder.
Instructions for uploading a picture or other .jpg image to Geocities Web Page Builder.

Week Two

Read "Get to Know Me's" (introductory pages on web folios)

Writing workshop: Based on your brainstorms and quiz compose the "one-pager" (appx. 300 words) "Get to know me" focussing on the things you value. Consider this: what do the things you value show or say about you?

Thursday, 1/24 (section 14) and Friday, 1/25 (section 06) "Get to Know Me/Introductory paper" (a one-pager, appx. 300 words) due. (4 points)

Week Three

Homework for Tuesday, 1/29 & Wednesday, 1/30:
Read Writing Essentials, Section 5 (pgs. 22-28), on revising.
Read the evaluation criteria for essays. Even though these criteria apply to six-point assignments and your first project will be worth four points, the criteria are applicable to good papers in general.
Read this revision and editing advice and checklist from the Guide to Grammar and Writing at Capital Community and Technical College in Hartford, Connecticut.
In class Tuesday and Wednesday: group editing exercises

Homework for Thursday, 1/31 and Friday 2/1:
Read the errors analysis assignment instructions
In class do the errors analysis exercise for your introductory paper. (2 points)

Week Four

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: Discuss and work on errors analyses of introductory paper

Thursday 2/7 & Friday 2/8:
Read Writing summaries for use in researched papers.

In Writing Essentials, Chapter 9 and Chapter 11

Week Five

Monday 2/11
Homework assignment: Prior to class, thoroughly read this information from Johns Hopkins University research librarian Elizabeth Kirk, UCLA research librarian Esther Grassian, and education technologist Alan November; all have excellent advice on evaluating Internet sources.
Draft a summary of either Kirk's or Grassian's or November's advice. We will discuss both the advice and the summaries in class.

Tuesday 2/12
Homework assignment: Prior to class, thoroughly read this information from Johns Hopkins University research librarian Elizabeth Kirk, UCLA research librarian Esther Grassian, and education technologist Alan November; all have excellent advice on evaluating Internet sources.
Draft a summary of either Kirk's or Grassian's or November's advice. We will discuss both the advice and the summaries in class.

In class: Small group exercise on analyzing Internet sources. (This will be fun. No kidding!)

Wednesday 2/13 In class: Small group exercise on analyzing Internet sources. (This will be fun. No kidding!)

Thursday 2/14 & Friday 2/15: Readings assignment: Instructions for off-campus access to VIVA
Access to VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia)
Access to Project Muse
Writing assignment: (Begin in class) Sumarizing an "essay-length" article

Week Six

Monday 2/18 & Tuesday 2/19
Readings assignment: In Writing Essentials, sections 9, 10 and 11, pages 44-74
From the Guide to Grammar and Writing, read the following sections: "Statement on Plagiarism," "Parenthetical Documentation" (ignore the info. on footnotes and endnotes), "Sample Works Cited Page"
Writing assignment: Due at the beginning of class, Summary of an "essay-length" article. (4 points)

Thursday 2/21 & Friday 2/22
I will be off campus at a conference, so you will have an opportunity to do a collaborative in-class reading and editing exercise, which is due at the end of class. (4 points)
Make sure you read the homework assignments, posted below, prior to the next class on Mon. or Tues.

Week Seven

Monday 2/25 & Tuesday 2/26
This week we will begin an exploration of the concept of "community," at the end of which you will elect to do a series of related assignments in one of two tracks. Track one will be community service projects. Track two will familiarize you with your academic and professional communities. Track one will culminate in a sequence of service learning assignments which you can preview by taking this link. Although we are not ready to start these assignments just yet (and you might opt for "track two" instead) you will become familiar with the concept by reading these sample service learning project papers of some students who chose this option in the Fall 2001 semester.

By the end of this week, you will choose your "community" track for the rest of the term. You may either: 1. opt to do community service with a not-for-profit organization and write about the service learning experience.

Or: 2. explore your academic and professional community with this sequence of assignments:

Week Eight

Monday 3/11 & Tuesday 3/12
Write a memo persuading me to approve the "track" or sequence of assignments you will select (either the service learning or career exploration tracks). In the memo, describe what you plan to do and specify the agency for which you will volunteer, what you plan to do with that agency, who the contact person is, and why you wish to pursue this community service and this sequence of assignments; or, describe which academic or professional publications you will analyze for the next essay if you choose the career exploration track.

Wednesday 3/13 & Thursday 3/14
Research or draft sequenced essay number one; or work on web folio pages

Friday 3/15 Sequenced essay number one due at end of class (6 points)

Week Nine

Monday 3/18
Begin research or drafting of sequenced essay number two

Tuesday 3/19
Sequenced essay number one due at start of class (6 points)
Begin research or drafting of sequenced essay number two

Week Ten

Monday 3/25 & Tuesday 3/26
Here is a link to an index of career analysis papers written in previous semesters. Bear in mind that these are not all going to be world-class essays and that, in a previous semester, the assignment might have been somewhat different from yours in length or scope. Nevertheless, they all provide documentation to sources which might be useful to you.

Wednesday 3/27
Workshop on sequenced "paper" number two. (or) Edit/revise sequenced paper #1 (if I have returned it to you).

Thursday 3/28 & Friday 3/29
Sequenced "paper" number two is due. (S. L. journal or career field analysis) (6 points)

Week Eleven

Monday 4/1 & Tuesday 4/2
Due: A memo to me specifically describing your plans for your third sequenced paper.
If you are doing the service learning project, you will describe what your project "paper" will be. (Consider the option I discussed about publishing an article in the Nelsonite).
If you are doing the career exploration projects, you will describe arrangements you have made to interview a professional in your field, per the instructions in the assignment.

Wednesday 4/3 & Thursday 4/4 & Friday 4/5
Workshop. Compose sequenced paper number three wherever you feel most comfortable in working, as the classroom will not be open.

Week Twelve

Tuesday 4/9 & Wednesday 4/10
Sequenced "paper" number three is due. (6 points)

Prepare for Advising and Registration: A Power Point Slide Show
This link launches Power Point. Click on "Slide Show" on the top line, and then select "View Show." Exit Power Point when it finishes. If you prepare your schedule and bring the worksheet and your Curriculum Progress Report to class with you, I will sign your registration card and you may register for classes.

Week Thirteen

Monday 4/15 & Tuesday 4/16
Begin Independent essay, which is Due Friday 4/19.
Begin to shaping the web folios into finished products, per suggestions by Kirk, Grassian, and November (see Week Five above) and those posted in the web folio evaluation criteria.

Wednesday 4/17 & Thursday 4/18
Access the web folios of everyone in your group and email each other with suggestions about how to improve the pages, questions about how somebody did something you would like to do with yours, "heads up" on problems or errors you have seen, etc.

Tell me if anything is wrong with the link I made to your web folio.

Friday 4/19
Due: Independent essay (6 Points)
Turn it in druing class or put it in my mailbox in room 249 by 2 p.m.

Week Fourteen

Monday 4/22 & Tuesday 4/23
In class: Web folio workshops

Wednesday 4/24 & Thursday 4/25
Due: Web Folios (6 points)

Readings assignments to prepare for final: Extended metaphors

Week Fifteen

Monday 4/29
Write the in-class "final" essay. (6 points)

Tuesday 4/30
In-class essay. (6 points)

Week "Sixteen" (sort of)

Thursday 5/2 & Monday 5/6
Make revisions, corrections to final papers and to web folios. Talley final grades.
Go on with life as we know it.

Clip art, animation, and background resources for building web pages

Clipart.com

Linkopedia.com

Microsoft's Clip Art Gallery

Help from Geocities in building your pages:
(Copied verbatim from Geocities Website.)

To get started building your web site with any of our great
tools, just go to http://www.geocities.com/.

If you already have pages and images on your computer that you
want to transfer to your new site, you can get information about
our FTP service at http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/gftp/

If you need help building your site, please visit
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/

Return to English 111 main page

Return to Mr. D's Index page