Syllabus, ENG 111/ENF 3, Summer 2020

Rick Dollieslager, Asst. Professor of English

Zoom Office Hours: Mon. 7-9 pm.
Zoom Class meeting hours: Weds. 7-9 pm
Office Phone: Text me on Remind App since I won't be going to my offfice. 
Remind App texting is the best way to contact me.

Email me at dollier@tncc.edu

I. Materials

II. e-Book & Software

*Note: Aside from the electronic handbook and lessons described above, we will use "OER's"-- Open Educational Resources--in this class, which is to say free, available material on the Internet, so you will not need to purchase a textbook for this course. Microsoft Word and Google Docs will be the primary word processing systems. You need not purchase Word since you get a free download of the Microsoft Office products (including Word) provided to you by the college. We will also use Google documents and various Google applications, which are, likewise, provided without additional charge to all TNCC students through your MyTNCC login. Canvas is the college on-line Learning Management System.

III. Pre-requisites and Catalog Description, English 111 & Student Learning Outcomes for ENF 3

Eng. 111/ENF 3 Introduces students to critical thinking and the fundamentals of academic writing. Through the writing process, students refine topics; develop and support ideas; investigate, evaluate, and incorporate appropriate resources; edit for effective style and usage; and determine appropriate approaches for a variety of contexts, audiences, and purposes. Writing activities will include exposition and argumentation with at least one researched essay.

Prerequisites: Satisfactory scores on the placement exam or satisfactory completion of prerequisite writing course.

III.a Prerequisite On-line Skills

Students in online classes must be proficient users of the World Wide Web and are responsible for adhering to all the following criteria. If you are unable to fulfill these requirements, another class delivery method is more appropriate for you.

III.b Pre-requisite Research Skills 

Students should possess computer skills to do online research using a variety of search engines; be familiar with TNCC’s library website and available methods of obtaining articles and documents via Thomas Nelson’s library resource site http://libguides.tncc.edu/offcampus.

III.c Pre-requisite Computer Literacy

Students in online classes must be proficient with the basic functions of a word processor as listed below. Microsoft Word is the approved word processing software, it can be downloaded free from the Office 365 module once you log in to Blackboard.
If you are unable to perform the following, another class delivery method may be more appropriate for you.

III.d Canvas Hardware, Software, and Screen-Readers

To ensure that your hardware and software are up-to-date to run the Canvas Learning Management System optimally and also to access screen readers for visual impairment difficulties in the Canva environment, read the Canvas help page with that information in it: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14263-what-are-the-computer-specifications-for-canvas-studio

IV. Instructional Methods and Attendance

On-Line, but synchrous. The course will be conducted on line but will require regular on-line attendance by completing posted assignments on time, by attending class Zoom sessions when it is possible, and by viewing the recorded videos of those meetings when it is not possible to join.

Homework/class preparation: For each college course that you enroll in, you should expect to spend two to three hours outside of class for every hour of seat time, in order to study and to complete your assignments. English 111/ENF 3 is no different. In the face-to-face classroom we would meet for approximately five hours per week, which means that you should plan to devote ten or more hours per week outside of on-line class time to complete the work, do the research, study the handbook sources and the assigned on-line readings and lessons. We will not meet for the full five hours per session one we have decided on the best time for us to meet in Zoom for weekly classes. (One five-hour class would kill all of us probably!) This class will require you to do on-line research. This course will not require a paper reader or paper textbook.

Absences: English Department policy stipulates that I should fill out a drop form for any student who has missed 20% of the scheduled classes. I can't help you to achieve your goals if you aren't in class to work toward them.

V Grading and Assignments

First, keep electronic copy of all handouts and assignments that you receive or do this semester that aren't permanently posted on the class webpage. That way, if there is any question of policy or of accuracy in recording a grade, you have copies of everything of importance. All graded work will be typed. In order to receive full credit, all work will be submitted on time (by the posted or stated deadline). Essays will total 6 points possible, and various assignments of lesser magnitude (quizzes, critical thinking journals, tutorials, etc.) will total 2 or 4 points possible. The total points for the semester will be around 80.

Second, don't email me your asignments. Ever. All of your assigments will be submitted to Canvas, which is the grading environment and which records grades instantly. Canva has tools for me to mark on your papers, write margin notes, add comments in the rubics and grading fields; it's very useful. It also has "Turn it In" plagarism and grammar checker. I can't load your work into your c\anvas assignment upload: only you can do that. Don't email me assigments. College email gets lost in my "Clutter" and "Junk" folders if messages have attachments. Each student MUST have an active VCCS e-mail account, and it must be used for any communication between you and your instructor(s).

Assignments: Assignments in this course will fall into the following categories: readings, quizzes, group work, essays, and/or in class discussions. I will do my best to grade all assignments within seven days; however, essays may take a bit longer to grade. Assignments are designed to provide opportunities for you to explore the concepts presented in the readings, class discussions, mini-lectures and/or videos. I expect ALL work that you submit to be grammatically correct and to follow the conventions of college level writing. Each assignment MUST be double-spaced (unless otherwise noted), with your name and assignment title at the top left corner.

Late assignments: Assignments will be posted as due for one week, and their due dates will correspond to the start time of the next Zoom class session meeting time that most of us agree on this week. (5/18/20-5/22/20).

Course feedback: Students who e-mail me Monday – Thursday will ordinarily receive a response within 48 hours. Students who e-mail me Friday – Sunday may expect a response by 5 pm on Monday. All projects that are completed and received by the due date will be graded and returned to the student in 7 to 10 days.

Final Grades: Graded projects will range from a minimum of 2 points to a maximum of 6 points, and the points accumulate.

VI. Other Course Policies

Respect: We will discuss a variety of topics in class. It is mandatory that we treat each and every person’s prerogative to express their thoughts and ideas with respect. You don’t have to agree with each other, but you do have to listen and respond respectfully to one another. Opinions themselves are not always worthy of respect; however, in our society, a person's right to express them is protected. That protection extends to the classroom. Disrespectful comments will not be tolerated and are grounds for being removed from the class. Because this course is about communicating professionally, gratuitous foul language is not acceptable and the consequences for use of foul language for gratuitous reasons will be addressed as is stipulated in the Student Handbook and Code of Conduct. Because foul language is, nevertheless, a part of our wider culture in this country, study of the nature of the use of foul language as it is sometimes used in context is both non-gratuitous and is germane to the content of a course in rhetoric and public discourse.

VII. Instructor Responsibilities

It is my responsibility to guide and support each student’s learning in this course. This means that I do my best to provide clear instructions for all assignments, to identify additional resources as necessary, and to provide rubrics and other criteria for evaluation of assignments. I am here to help you, so do not hesitate to ask me questions.

It is my responsibility as your instructor to:

---------------------------------------------------------------

VIII. Rules for Success

IX. Success Habits and Behaviors

I care about the future of my country. You ARE the future of this country. Meet me half way: CARE, WORK, SHOW UP, SUCCEED!

------------------------------------------------------------

X. TNCC Standing Policies

Plagiarism: In accordance with provisions published in the TNCC Student Handbook, disciplinary action will result if intentionally plagiarized work is turned in. The TNCC Student Handbook describes plagiarism thus: "To steal and pass off as one's own the ideas or words of another; to use without crediting the source; to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source; to commit literary theft." Whether intentional or inadvertent, plagiarism is a serious academic offense, and the consequences for intentional plagiarism are severe, as stipulated in the TNCC Student Handbook: "Plagiarism at Thomas Nelson Community College will constitute a dismissible offense..."

TNCC Retake policy: Enrollment in a course is limited to two times. If a student needs to enroll for a third and final time, he or she must submit a written petition to the Vice President of Academic Affairs (or her designee) for approval.

ADA Compliance: Thomas Nelson Community College complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and provides reasonable accommodations to students who are entitled to such accommodations by law. Students receiving services from the College who have disabilities that require accommodations are responsible for informing the Office of Disabled Student Services (Hastings 323D; phone: 757-825-2833 or 757-825-2867 and TDD 757-825-2853; and Disability Support Services website.) Students must present instructors with their letters of accommodation as soon as possible. The accommodations become effective on the date when the student presents the letter to the instructor; accommodations shall not be applied retroactively.

If you have any diagnosed physical or learning disabilities please contact Mr. Richard Hurst to register for support services or accommodations covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

XI. Summer 2020 Important Dates

Classes begin: 5/18/2020
Last day to drop with a refund: 5/27/2020
Last Day to Drop with a Grade of “W”: 6/29/2020
Classes End: 7/20/2020
Exams: 7/21-7/27

The English Department is part of the Arts, Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences division which may be contacted at abhs@tncc.edu or (757) 825-2799.

Return to R. Dollieslager's main menu