R. Dollieslager's English 112
Weekly Schedule, Spring 2019
Thomas Nelson Community College

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

moynihan quote on facts

alternative facts

lady liberty
I am an Equal Opportunity Educator: I refuse to discriminate against, condone discrimination against, or participate in, or support, or tolerate discrimination against any person based on ethnicity, religion--or lack thereof, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, sexual identity, or sexual orientation.

Mon & Weds Office Hours: 12:40-1:40, in room 207Q (my office)
Tues & Thurs Office Hours: 9:30-11 in The Tutor Zone, room 101 (library)
"By Appointment" Office Hours: 11-12:30, in Tutor Zone, room 101. Text me on Remind App for appt.
Remind App texting is the best way to contact me on or off-campus.
(I won't respond during classes, however.)
Office Phone: 757-258-6506
Email me at dollier@tncc.edu

Page last Updated: 15 January 2019, 4:35 p.m.

English 112 course syllabus

Class Video Resources
Class Internet Resources
Spring Class Schedule

Avoiding plagiarism by citing sources:

1. Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  2. What do I need to cite? (1 min.)
  3. Plagiarism: You can't just change a few words! (1 min.)
  4. Quoting and paraphrasing (3 min.)
  5. Citing without quoting (3 min.)
  6. Citing websites (2 min.)
  7. Punctuating in-text citations (3 min)
  8. How to cite a Youtube video.
Traditional Argument Handouts/Sites

Week 5 Week 6
  • The Congressional Record: Track daily debates and search for your representatives' and senators' voting records.
  • Emergent: "A Real-Time Rumor Tracker"
  • Fact Check.Org A Project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center: In an era of ever-increasing "fake news" sources, unreal "reality TV," entrenched political bias, science deniers, and rampant propagandizing, check your facts before you espouse your opinions or quote falsehoods.
  • Fact Checker. A service of The Washington Post
  • Library of Congress The largest repository of primary sources of information aside form the Internet itself--but much easier to find.
  • Snopes "Welcome to Snopes.com, the definitive Internet reference source for urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation."
  • Urban Legends "Where you'll find the most popular urban legends and be entertained with email rumors, recent internet hoaxes and stories you swore actually happened to your friend's, cousin's, pet sitter's, roommate, when she was in college."
  • "Fake Or Real? How To Self-Check The News And Get The Facts" NPR, 5 Dec. 2016

Week One

Monday, 1/7/19
In-class activities: 1] Introductions: tell us about your pets! 2] Remind App: enter 81010, message/class code @6gc63b, 3] Pre-semester
readiness survey, 4] Posting in BBd. Discuss the topic in class.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 1/9/19:

Wednesday, 1/9/19
In-class activities: 1] Taking notes on readings using Cornell notes layout and an outline format. 2] Summarizing using Assistive Technologies: Speechnotes. 3] Annotating and documenting. Here is a sample of one type of annotated bibliography.

Homework assignment for Monday, 1/14/19:

Week Two

Monday 1/14/19
In-class activities: 1] Discuss completion of the annotated bibliography. 2] Discuss results of the pre-semester survey (and submission of late work). 3[ Discuss and distribute NQAs 4] Small-group/class discussion: completion of the course syllabus with regard to class/personal cell phone policy. 4] Registering for NYT in Education: 

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 1/16/19:

Wednesday, 1/16/19 1] Submit Syllabus Quiz. 2] Discuss cell phone policies and agree to ours. Add it to the syllabus to finalize the syllabus. 3] Discuss Preparedness to Succeed survey outcomes. 4] View/discuss grade rosters from Fall 2018.

Week Three

Monday 1/21/18

Wednesday 1/23/18

Homework assignment for:

Homework assignment for Monday 1/28/18:

Week Four

Monday 1/28/18 In class: 1]

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 1/30/18:

Wednesday 1/30/18 In class: 1]

Homework assignment for Monday, 2/5/18:

Week Five

Monday 2/4/18 In class: 1]

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 2/6/18:

Wednesday 2/6/18 In class: 1] at 2:00, discuss the "Analyzing an Article" assignment. 2] at 3:30 group activity: Ethos, Pathos, Logos.

Homework assignment for Monday, 2/12/18:

Return to Mr. D's Index page

createiv commons placateCreative commons non-commercial placate
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.