TNCC English 109 (Mon.-Weds.-Fri.) Fall 2006

pet pilgrims

You did it, folks. Now, step out into your bright future!

Last Updated, 13 December 2006, 10:00 p.m..

Jump to Week 1
Jump to Week 2
Jump to Week 3
Jump to Week 4
Jump to Week 5
Jump to Week 6
Jump to Week 7
Jump to Week 8
Jump to Week 9
Jump to Week 10
Jump to Week 11
Jump to Week 12
Jump to Week 13
Jump to Week 14
Jump to Week 15

Class resources

English 109 syllabus (including graded assignments and grading criteria.)

Webster's Dictionary Online

I use the On Course Student Success index as a resource for teaching and supplementing this class.

The "On Course Principles" are excellent guidelines for keeping yourself on course to academic success and to success in life!

Advice and guidelines for analytical reading of texts: SQ3R

The Cornell note-taking method: how to use and modeling the process.

While designed for working professionals, the Mind Tools web site has many useful self-help links, including techniques for memorizing.

Contact Mr. D. by email (dollier@tncc.edu), by phone (825-3543), or in person (room 874, first floor of Templin Hall)

Week One

Wednesday, 8/23
In class:

1. Turn in New Equations assignment
  2. Take the 109 Colleagues quiz
  3. Take this self-assessment and then print it out for your journal.

Homework for Friday, 8/25:
Read: Learn how to take note that you can actually use later, the Cornell note-taking method. Here are links to two sites that describe how to use the Cornell note-taking method and that model the process. I even have some blank templates: One is a lined template, and one is unlined. You should always use unlined paper when taking notes in a math or physics class, or in any other situation in which you will be writing mathematical formulas because the lines themselves can restrict how you take the notes or detract from how you read your notes back later. (Note: the Cornell templates appear to have lines when viewed normally on MS Word, but they will not print out that way. You can view them on "Print Preview" to see what they will look like.)
Bring to class: Two folders for use in English 109 and one folder for each of your other classes (or a binder if another professor has required you to use a binder for his or her class)

The most effective methods of learning*

Our goal is to move learning from the 5% retention rates of lecture alone, toward the 90% retention rates achievable by immediate use or "teaching others," the most effective means of retaining material learned.

*Research on learning and retention of information from the National Training Laboratories, Bethel Maine

learning pyramid

Friday, 8/25
In class: 1. Discuss Cornell note taking. 2. Practice Cornell note taking while discussing the job of a college student.

Homework for Monday, 8/28:
Write: Journal entry #1, responding to the highs and lows of the self-assessment.

Week Two

Monday, 8/28
In class: 1. Discuss the two quizzes from week one (combined and averaged for one weekly quiz grade). 2. Discuss "The Late Paper" case study

Homework for Wednesday, 8/30:
Read: Introduction and Chapter 1 of On Course text book. In class on Weds. we will write journal entry #2 (Journal entry 1 was already assigned)

Wednesday, 8/30
In class: 1. Discuss journaling. 2. Write journal entry #2, page 19.

Homework for Friday, 9/1:
Read: Pages 25-34 of Chapter II.
Write: Journal entries #3 (pg. 29) and #4 (pg. 34)

Friday, 9/1
In class: Discuss interdependence.  Engage in an interdependence activity. Discuss the upcoming (Sept. 11th) Drumming Workshop, an opportunity to practice interdependence

Homework for Wednesday, 9/6:
Read Chapter five, “Employing Interdependence,” pages 109-130. 
Write journal entry 15

Week Three

Monday, 9/4
Have some fun. Skip class today!

Wednesday, 9/6
In class(during my absence):
Write journal entries 16 and 18
Due: On Course journals (entries 1, 2, 15, 16, 18) at the end of class on Wednesday, 9/6; place the journals in the top drawer of the file cabinet in the back of the room.
Plan: Leave yourselves about 10 to 15 minutes of class time to plan your activity for Friday. See "homework" just below.

Week Four

Monday, 9/11

Drumming workshop

Wednesday, 9/13

In class: Discuss the drumming workshop. Catch up day: Bring closure to Chap I . with an open-book quiz.

Homework for Friday, 9/15:
Read the case study on pages 122-123. Rank the characters in the story per the instructions
Read
pages 24-34 of Chapter II, "Accepting Personal Responsibility"
Write: 1. A response/reflection on the drumming experiences, 100-150 words in length. Send this to me via email (dollier@tncc.edu) 2. Include in the email your ranking of the characters in the case study on pages 122-123
 Self-assess: (this is a contemplative assignment, not necessarily a writing assignment) One-fourth of the way through the semester, how are you doing? What problems have you encountered? What resources have you used to address any problems you may be encountering? What things do you need in order to be successful in your classes?

Friday, 9/13

In class: Discuss interdependency. Discuss the case study on pages 122-123

Homework for Monday, 9/18:
Read pages 35-45 of Chapter II, "Accepting Personal Responsibility"
Write journal entries 3-6

Week Five

Monday, 9/18

In class: Discuss Creator and Victim language. Begin identifying Victim language and Creator language.

Homework for Wednesday, 9/20:
Take-home quiz: Finish handouts on indentifying Victim language and Creator language. On the blank sheet, write your name near the bottom, and make a cover that is appropriate to the assignment. You may reject up to three of the sets of song lyrics and replace them with song lyrics of your choosing, focussing on why or how the lyrics identify Victim or Creator characteristics.
VERY Important!!
Both sections (10 a.m. and 11 a.m.) meet in the auditorium downstairs at 10 a.m. for class Wednesday

Wednesday, 9/20

ATTEND Tuskeegee Airman's Presentation at Mary Christian Theater (1st floor Templin Hall) at 10-11 a.m. There will be an assignment (or multiple assignments) based on this presentation. Take notes! I will evaluate your Cornell notes as one of the assignments.
Here are links to two sites that describe how to use the Cornell note-taking method and that model the process. The blank templates are on the shelf near the door, or you may make your own, of course

In class: Turn in take home quiz on Victim/Creator lyrics in songs at the start of class. Discuss "How'm I doin'?" Write a letter to myself. Discuss V/C lyrics quiz.

Homework for Monday, 9/25:
Read pages 49-57 of Chapter III
Write Journal entries 7 & 8
Write "a letter to myself," assessing what I'm doing inclasses and in life that is helping me to be academically successful, what is happening that is not successful, and my plan for addressing anything that is happening that is preventing me from being as successful as I want to be.

Homework for FRIDAY, 9/28:
Turn in Cornell-style lecture/discussion notes from one of your other classes. If not a class lecture, you may take lecture notes at a Student Success Seminar (check your student email for a list of these), from a sermon in church on Sunday, from a lecture you attend at the Mariner's Museum, etc. I will grade these notes, so make them complete and follow the instructions for Cornell note taking.

Week Six

Monday, 9/25

In class: Discuss "Self-Motivation," Chap. III, pages 49-57

Homework for Wednesday, 9/27:
Read pages 58-64 of Chapter III
Write Journal entry 9. Note: Journals (1-9) will be turned in on Wednesday

Wednesday, 9/27

In class: Turn in journals, completed through entry 9. Discuss "Designing a Life Plan" as an means of self motivation.

Friday, 9/29

In class: Internet research and Geocities workshop

Homework for Monday, 10/2:
Read pages 64-77 of Chapter III
Write journal entry 10

Week Seven

Monday, 10/2

In class: Having written your personal affirmation in journal 10, send me your personal affirmation via email, during class today. DO NOT send it to me before class and DO NOT send it to me after class. I need to be in Richmond today; therefore I won't be in class, so I need you tech-heads to help your colleagues who are not yet as saavy at using the computer. No one leaves the classroom until everyone has succeeded in emailing me their personal affirmations. This is an exercise in successful use of communication technology and in practicing interdependence. Help each other. Compel me to post praise of you on the Wall of Success. Git 'er done.

Here is my email address: dollier@tncc.edu. Remember, these computers do not have "pop mail" service so you have to access your own email account. Put your name and class time in the subject line of your emails.

Homework for Wednesday, 10/4:
Continue to research on the Internet to find images of your successful life 15 years from now, and save them to a diskette or jump drive so that you can bring them to class. "What images?!" you ask. What will your job be? Find a picture. Where will you live and what will your house look like? Find a picture. What will you drive? What will you eat? What will your family look like? Your spouse (if any)? In other words, look at your journals and picture the life you are designing for yourself and find photos that correspond to that great life you are creating; the images will help you to stay focused on achieving your dreams. This will be the start of your personal success web site. Here are some
web pages created by the Eng 109 students in Spring 2006. Your site is going to much more detailed and much, much cooler than these were. This article will describe some other things you can do, both academic and personal, with your own web site.

Week Eight

Monday, 10/9

In class: Activities related to self-management and interdependency.

Homework for Wednesday, 10/11
Read pages 135-148
Write Journals 19 and 20
Write your responses to "
The Goose Story," label the handout as "Journal 17," and place it in your journal in numerical order.

Note 1: This is assignment amnesty week!! If you have anything you have not turned in, I will accept it this week without a punitive grade. One time and one time only. This week and this week only. No extensions, no exceptions, no excuses. Period.

Note 2: Always bring a jump drive or 3.5 inch storage disk with you to class.

Wednesday, 10/11

In class Internet research workshop: Starting an annotated "webliography"

Homework for Friday, 10/13
Research and save annotated webliography entries for at least two sites related to problems you wish to overcome in each of your classes and in life management in general. (That is, at least two sites for math, at least two for writing, at least two for reading, etc.). Again, this will be the start of your personal success web site. My Spring 2006 English 109 class did a similar project, but your resources web page will be much more thorough because you will have much more time to work on it. Nonetheless, take some time to look through the web pages created by the Eng 109 students in Spring 2006 because you may find some resources that you will want to add to your own web resources project.

Friday, 10/13

In class: Using time management tools.

Homework for Monday, 10/16
I. On-line research. As an on-going outside-of-class assignment, I remind you again that your resources web page will be thorough and well detailed, a site that you can continue adding resources to as you progress through your college careers. I advise you to take some time to look through the web pages created by the Eng 109 students in Spring 2006 because you may find some resources that you will want to add to your own web resources project. Keep working on this site!! We have started it in class but you will keep developing your resources as an on-going homework project. Whenever your professors direct you to an on-line resource, they are telling you what you need to know and where to find it. Save those to your resources index. All of your professors know of valuable on-line resources to help you with any problems you are having, so consult them.

How do you know if the site you are accessing is viable for academic purposes? Here is some advice for analyzing web sites: 1]. Guidelines from technology research librarians Esther Grassian (UCLA) and 2]. Elizabeth Kirk (Johns Hopkins) 3]. Link three is an interesting journal article on that topic from educational technologist Alan November. A warning about taking the link to November's site though: if you go to it, you will dead end there. In other words the "back" button on your browser will not bring you back to the 109 class web page. It's a good article though, and I recommend reading it.

II. Read pages 149-160
III. Write journals 21 and 22

Note: There will be a (closed book) readings quiz on Chapter 6 on Monday. You may NOT use your book, but if you have written SQ3R/Cornell-style notes from Chapter 6, you MAY use your notes.

Week Nine

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mid-term Course Correction: Our foci hereafter are professionalism and personal responsibility. No more slacking off and hoping for a break. No excuses for missed or late work. No extensions on assignment deadlines. No exceptions.

Taking Responsibility

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

"The price of greatness is responsibility." Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Character--the willingness to accept responsibility for one's own life--is the source from which self-respect springs." Joan Didion (1934- )

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<+>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Monday, 10/16

In class: 1. Chap. 6 "open notes" quiz. 2. Puzzle exercise followed by discussion. 3. Introspective writing from the puzzle exercise. Save these and label them as Journal 20.1, and place them into your journals. Journals will be collected at the end of this week.

Homework for Wednesday, 10/18
Write: Open
this link to Journal entry 21.1 (this is in addition to the regular Journal entry 21 in Chap 6). Save it to disk and open it in MS Word. Write your responses, save it to your disk when it is complete, print it out, and place the printout in your journal folder as journal 21.1.
Read These selections on making oral presentations, from Rice University and from computer science professor Mark D. Hill at U. of Wisconsin, who has some suggestions about using PowerPoint that you can probably adapt, and also includes some humours "don'ts" at the end. Here is another resource from a Concordia University Business Communication class.

Show up on time for Wednesday's class!

Wednesday, 10/18

In class: 1. Guest lecture with Prof. Hayden on making oral presentations. Prepare for this by reading and taking notes from the "oral presentations" links above. Show up on time, and take notes, which will be turned in to me for evaluation as a quiz grade. 2. Discussion of oral presentation topics.

Homework for Friday, 10/20
Turn in Journals through entry number 21.1 at the start of class on Friday.

Friday, 10/20

In class: Discuss oral presentation topics and begin researching and preparing the oral presentations.

Week Ten

Monday, 10/23

In class: Research workshop on oral presentation topics.

Wednesday, 10/25

In class: I. Research workshop on oral presentation topics. Try some of these sites to look for resources for your oral presentation and your webliography of success resources.

II. Begin developing oral presentations. These presentation will be supplemented with a permanent visual aid of some sort: A PowerPoint presentation which can be saved to the class web site, a separate web page in your Geocities site, a Word document to be handed out and posted to the class web site . . . Have any other ideas?

III. Take these links to a Power Point and a MS Word handout about making great presentations.

Homework for Friday, 10/27
Work on your presentation. We will begin scheduling the COL Ambassadors presentations for next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to coincide with the start of Advising Week. The other topics will be spread out over the ensuing two weeks.
Keep developing your annotated webliography of success resources. I will look at (but not grade yet) your annotated webliography either on next Monday or next Wednesday.

Friday, 10/27

In class: Professor Hayden will join you to assist in the development of your oral presentations. We have devoted the entire week to developing the oral presentations, so use the time wisely because we move on to other things next week. COL Ambasadors, Prof. Hayden will schedule you to present in at least one other class early next week. If you will do several presentations, we will try to schedule you several times because you are excellent representatives of our successful students.

Homework for Monday, 10/30
Work on your presentation. We will begin scheduling the COL Ambassadors presentations for next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to coincide with the start of Advising Week.
Keep developing your annotated webliography of success resources.

Week Eleven

Monday, 10/30

In class: Research workshop on oral presentations. This will be our last in-class workshop on the oral presentations, so make sure you have all the information you need in order to finish it outside of class.

Homework for Wednesday, 11/1
Read pages 161-171 of Chap. 7 "Adopting Lifelong Learning" (I add this reminder: Take notes as you read the final three chapters of the book because I will give in-class quizzes and allow you to use your notes for the quizzes, but not the book itself.)
Write journal entry 23
Prepare for advising by [1.] finding an outline of your curriculum from the 2006-2008 TNCC Catalog, [2.] writing out, separately, an outline of all classes you have taken at TNCC, including those you have this semester, and the grades you have earned in each (except for this semester, obviously), [3.] logging in to "MyTNCC" using your EMPL ID and password prior to coming to class on Wednesday, so that you know how to do this before class and, therefore, don't waste class time, my time, and your colleagues' time during our advising class session.

Wednesday, 11/1

In class: 1.] Develop oral presentation schedule, 2.] Advising/registration prep. workshop

Homework for Friday, 11/3
Read pages 172-185 of Chap. 7 "Adopting Lifelong Learning" (Take notes as you read the final three chapters of the book because I will give in-class quizzes and allow you to use your notes for the quizzes, but not the book itself.)
Write journal entries 24 and 25

Friday, 11/3

In class: 1.] Develop oral presentation schedule, 2.] Review supplements to oral presentations, 3.] Review draft of personal resources/annotated webliography in MS Word format.

Homework for Monday, 11/6
Read pages 176-194 of Chap. 7
Write journal entry 26
Write notes on Chap 7. There will be a 20-question open-notes (not open-book) quiz on Chap. 7 on Monday, worth 10 points (equal to two ordinary quiz grades)

Week Twelve

This week will we start oral presentations. Here are links to the supplemental material for your presentations:

Monday, 11/6

In class: Register for Spring '07 classes

Homework for Wednesday, 11/8
Read pages 194-207 of Chap. 8
Write journal entries 27 & 28
Write SQ3R notes on Chap 8. Next week, I will collect your SQ3R notes on Chapter 8 as the equivalent of two quiz grades (10 points) so take good SQ3R notes on this chapter.

Wednesday, 11/8

In class: 1. Open notes quiz on Chap 7. 2. Oral presentation: SQ3R note taking, Brittany and Ebony (10 a.m.)

Homework for Friday, 11/10
Read pages 208-213 of Chap. 8
Write journal entry 29
Write SQ3R notes on Chap 8. Next week, I will collect your SQ3R notes on Chapter 8 as the equivalent of two quiz grades (10 points) so take good SQ3R notes on this chapter.

Friday, 11/10

In class: Note taking workshops. Workshop leaders at 10 a.m.: Brittany and Ebony At 11 a.m., Krystle and Karen will teach you how to write SQ4R notes and then will lead the workshop on writing these notes on Chap. 8. (Editorial note: SQ3R and SQ4R notes are the same thing. Adding the fourth "R" emphasizes a step that is intrinsic to the process, one which is there whether the technique is referred to as 3R or 4R.)

A note to the 11 a.m. class: Since the Smart Board is not working properly, Karen and Krystle (AKA the Special Ks) will have you open their Power Point from the link above following these steps: 1. Right click the link. 2. Select "Save target link as" and let it save wherever it wants to save 3. Select Open with Power Point. If you run it in PowerPoint rather than left clicking and letting it run in your browser window, it will be easier to scroll through the slides as Karen and Krystle talk to you about this note taking method.

Homework for Monday, 11/13
Read pages 214-223 of Chap. 8
Write journal entry 30

Week Thirteen

Term Projects due and graded this week: 1.] Oral presentations and their supplements, 2.] annotated webliographies.

Monday, 11/13

Due at the start of class: SQ3R notes on Chapter 8 (10 points, equivalent of two quiz grades)
In class: 1.
Oral presentation: Test Taking Techniques, Kellee, Carlina, and Ronnie. (10 a.m.) 2. Discussion and activities related to Chapter 8.

Homework for Wednesday, 11/15
Read an overview of Howard Gardner's
Multiple Intelligences research, and the Intelligence Profiles (take the links and read this material).
Write the MI inventory and assesss your own innate intelligences. This is due at the start of class on Wednesday as a quiz grade.

Wednesday, 11/15

In Class: 1.] Discuss Multiple intelligences 2.] Discuss the VARK learning styles questionnaire and study help pages.

Homework for Friday, 11/17
Read an overview of the VARK learning styles questionnaire and study help pages.
Print out your VARK profile.
Read this essay about a student who was determined to be successful no matter what: "Succeeding Against the Odds"
Write journal entry number 30.1

Friday, 11/17

In class: Draft the final paper
I won't be in class today since I have a meeting in the Richmond area. Please use your time wisely, and make a quiet working environment for your colleagues. Take chatting outside of the classroom, please.

Homework for Monday, 11/20
Read Chapter 9, 224-234
Write Journal Entry 31

Homework for Monday, 11/27
Finish journaling. Final journal collection will take place on Monday 11/27. Be sure that you go back to write journals 11-14 if those have not already been graded. (Not everyone included journal entries 11-14 when I collected them the last time; those are the only "old" journal entries which I will accept--no other make-ups on journal entries up through 21.1, the last entry which I required to be submitted heretofore.)

Week Thirteen.one

Monday, 11/20

In class: 1. Oral presentations. Let's get them finished today? 2. Discuss final papers

Homework for Monday, 11/27
Finish journaling. Final journal collection will take place on Monday 11/27. Be sure that you go back to write journals 11-14 if those have not already been graded. (Not everyone included journal entries 11-14 when I collected them the last time; those are the only "old" journal entries which I will accept--no other make-ups on journal entries up through 21.1, the last entry which I required to be submitted heretofore.)

Week Fourteen

Monday, 11/27

Due at the start of class: Journals, completed.
In class: 1. Workshop: (a)
Final essay or (b) edit/revise/perfect annotated webliography. 2. Due at the end of class: annotated webliographies

Wednesday, 11/29

In class: 1. Workshop: Finish final essay. 2. Due at the end of class: Final essay

Friday, 12/1

In class: 1. Write course evaluations 2. Webfolio workshop.

Week Fifteen

Monday, 12/4

In class: 1. On Course outcomes assessment. 2. Webfolios workshop

Wednesday, 12/6

In class: Webfolios due by the end of class

Friday, 12/8

In class: Final essays returned. Revision workshop on essays

Week Sixteen

I am available to help you with your webfolio project ALL week. Come to my office to find me, and I will help you get a perfect grade on this project.

Monday, 12/11: 10 a.m., Section Eng. 109-01 meets for final 10-11:45

In class: 1. Pre/Post assessments due. (These are Journal 31) revised essays to webfolios 2. Revise and publish webfolios 3. Set up evaluation conference. Bring ALL of your work to it so that I can assure that my records are accurate and you can know your final grade. Here is the grades sheet; fill it out before you come for your conference.

Wednesday, 12/13: 11 a.m., Section Eng. 109-02 meets for final 10-11:45

A note about Eng 109. This course is not only about how to be successful in college and in life, but additionally, I have designed it to be a successful experience for you. You should have an A or a B for the course. Here is why: While we had 50 assignments, we had no major projects, mostly very small assignments for very small credit. The message: make BIG projects into small ones by taking small steps instead of thinking you can make one GIANT leap and finish a big project. With 50 assignments and 46 class meetings, that averages about one assignment per class. If you have kept up with assignments as they were made, you will have a very good grade. Additionally, I hope that I have challenged you to do work beyond what you thought you were capable of doing (e.g., the webfolios). College is supposed to be a challenge! If you come to classes and do things you already are comfortable with and know how to do, there would be no purpose for taking college classes. If you were frustrated, good. If you had to struggle, good. If you were asked to do something that was outside of your comfort zone, good. Rise to the challenges of college and you show the whole WORLD the stuff you are made of.

In class: First, discuss SDV 100 and Eng 109: "should the SDV 100 credit be incorporated intoEng. 109?
1. Write course evaluations. 2. Pre/Post assessments due. (These are Journal 31) 3. Revise and publish webfolios 4. Set up evaluation conference. Bring ALL of your work to it so that I can assure that my records are accurate and you can know your final grade. Here is the grades sheet; fill it out before you come for your conference.

Class web page for Eng 109, Spring 2006

Return to Mr. D.'s main page