R. Dollieslager's English 111 Daily Schedule, Sumer 2001

Enjoying his summer, Mr. D. is seen here water skiing behind a friend's craft.

English 111 Syllabus, Summer 2001

A Tentative Schedule of Projects, Summer 2001
English 111-04 and 111-05, Computer-Mediated Composition

This schedule for the summer term is subject to change based on class discussion and progress on assignments. I will add links to resources and elaborate on the projects as they come up, making changes to the schedule almost daily.

Since this is a summer class, and we should all be outside somewhere having fun instead of sitting in some dusty old cubbyhole. Therefore, much of your homework for this class will be to get out and have fun. And then we're going to write about that fun. The first paper, I'll call a "secret treasure" essay. Then we will do a restaurant review, and entertainment review, a descriptive analysis of a major attraction in the area, and a persuasive piece: "what this area really needs is..." The final major project will be the web folio.

Last Updated: 6/13/2001, 8:00 a.m.

Week One

Mon. 5/21
In-class: Discuss objectives, view web folios from previous semesters. Make an email account. Discuss paper #1.

Readings: Define what an essay is and what a thesis statement is.

Instructions for making a Geocities account. Begin web folio using Geocities Web Page Builder

Weds. 5/23
Essay projects for the Summer term

Thurs. 5/24
At the start of class, print drafts of paper #1, exchange w/ two colleagues, and do peer review per instructions on my handout. Then make the paper perfect and turn it in for me to grade. Paper #1 = 6 pts.
Readings for Tues., 5/29: Four to six restaurant reviews. For reviews of area restaurants, take this link to the DailyPress.com, then click on "dining" in the frame on the left of the Daily Press home page.

Week Two

Tues. 5/29
Errors analysis of paper #1 due at end of class. 2 pts.
Discuss summarizing, documenting, quoting.

Weds. 5/30
Web Folio workshop: Uploading files
Documentation exercise (a summary or quote which you will actually use in your paper), 2 pts.
Sample of a quote used in a restaurant review.

Thurs. 5/31
Due at start of class: 1) The quoting exercise. This is one paragraph which you will actually use in paper 2, a paragraph in which you correctly quote a source. It includes the correct, MLA-style works cited. Follow my sample quote exercise. 2 pts.
2) Draft of paper 2 (the restaurant review) for peer review. It will be turned in to me to grade at the end of class today. 6 pts.
Note: 1/2 way through class, I will demonstrate how to upload paper 1 onto your web site, so be sure you have paper 1 with you, saved on disk with all corrections made to it.
Readings for Mon., 6/4: Two movie reviews, two concert reviews, two other entertainment reviews.

Week Three

Mon. 6/4
Errors analysis of paper 2 due at end of class. 2 pts.

Tues. 6/5
Paper 3 due at start of class for peer review; turn in for grading at end of class. 6 pts.

Weds. 6/6
Workshops: Web Folio & drafting paper 4

Thurs. 6/7
Errors analysis of paper 3 due at end of class. 2 pts.

Week Four

Mon. 6/11
Paper 4 due at start of class for peer review; turn in for grading at end of class. 6 pts.

Tues. 6/12
Workshops: Web Folio & drafting paper 5

Weds. 6/13
Workshops: Web Folio & drafting paper 5
Please check out the Web Folios index and follow my instructions there.

Thurs. 6/14
Errors analysis of paper 4 due. 2 pts.
Paper 5 due at start of class for peer review; turn in for grading at end of class. 6 pts.
Assignment for Monday 6/18: Access and read the other web folios. Proof them carefully and provide feedback to your colleagues regarding links that don't work, annoying scrolling from side to side, html code or other characters inadvertantly saved in the text of the papers, etc. Apply the webfolio evaluation criteria I have supplied when you critique the web folios--including your own. Use email to contact each other.

Week Five

Mon. 6/18
Web Folio workshop. (I will begin grading Web Folios which are completed.)

Tues. 6/19
Web Folios due. 6 pts.

Weds. 6/20
Corrections to paper 5 due. 2 pts.

Thurs. 6/21
Corrections to Web Folios due. 2 pts.

Semester has ended. Go forth and multiply. (or whatever)

Clip art, animation, and background resources for building web pages

Clipart.com

Linkopedia.com

Microsoft's Clip Art Gallery

Help from Geocities in building your pages:
(Copied verbatim from Geocities Website.)

To get started building your web site with any of our great
tools, just go to http://www.geocities.com/.

If you already have pages and images on your computer that you
want to transfer to your new site, you can get information about
our FTP service at http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/gftp/

If you need help building your site, please visit
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/

Return to English 111 main page

Return to Mr. D's Index page