R. Dollieslager's English 111,
Weekly Schedule Spring 2014
Thomas Nelson Community College

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Gator and Rick

Mr. D. and The Thomas Nelson Gator. (Mr. D. at the left.)

We're almost home now, folks!

F2F Office Hours: Mon-Weds 9:30-12:30 & Tues-Thurs 10:00-11:00 in room 874 (my office)
Weds 1:45-3:15 in room 916

Online Office Hours: Tues-Weds 6:00-7:15 pm
Email me at dollier@tncc.edu

Page last Updated: 13 May 2014, 8:20 a.m.

Class Video Resources
Class Internet Resources
Spring Class Schedule
  1. Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  2. What do I need to cite? (1 min.)
  3. Plagiarism: You can't just change a few words! (1 min.)
  4. Quoting and paraphrasing (3 min.)
  5. Citing without quoting (3 min.)
  6. Citing websites (2 min.)
  7. Punctuating in-text citations (6 min)

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Researched Essay Topics:

Grading Criteria for all Essays and projects, and the course syllabus

Week One

Monday, 1/13 1] Getting started: "house-keeping" and policies for success.

Wednesday 1/15 1] Finish the course syllabus

Week Two

Monday, 1/20 1] No class, in celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King. (Wow! That's a weird thing to say.)

Wednesday 1/22 No Class! Snow day!

Week Three

Monday, 1/27 1] Discuss the Hartman Profile

Take the Hartman Personality Profile

Slide show for discussing the personality colors

Hartman Reading/Writing Assignments for Eng. 111/ENF 3 classes.

Homework assignment for Wednesday:
Read the PowerPoint, the .pdf file and the assigned paragraphs from the
Hartman background readings
Don't begin drafting the Hartman paper until we discuss it in class on Wednesday, however.

Wednesday 1/29 Oh, no -- more snow! We will push everything back to next Monday, when we will discuss and begin drafting the Hartman profile paper.

Week Four

Monday, 2/3 In-class activities: 1] Discuss the Hartman research and how to draft the personality profile paper, and begin drafting it. 2] Preview the first rearched essay project, on the importance of developing professional communication skills and the first stage of that project, which paraphrases two articles about why good grammar is important.

Homework assignments for Wednesday
1] Finish drafting the one-pager on your Hartman personality profile. Proofread and edit before printing it out. I will not read work that has not been spell checked and proof-read by the author. Print your Hartman paper before coming to class. It is due at the start of class.
2] Complete stages 1 and 2 of the assignment on paraphrasing two articles about the importance of good grammar. You will be graded on the worksheet, so finish it before class, and we will draft the paragraph in class following discussion of the two articles.

Wednesday, 2/5 In-class activities: 1] Turn in the Hartman one-page personality profile at the start of class. Please print due assignments outside of the classroom for two reasons--first, it takes 10 to 15 minutes for everyone to print, and we don't have any class time to throw away; and, second, my Division Dean has told us we have almost no printing budget, so we have to conserve paper and toner in the classrooms. 2] Turn in the reading worksheet assignment and discuss the two articles. 3] Compose the paragraph, which is due at 9:00 a.m. today. We need the final 15 minutes to discuss the homework.

Homework assignments for Monday, 2/10/14:
Do the professional communication assignment through step 4. We will do step five in class on Monday. I will collect and grade your notes along with the paragraphs because this assigment is also about good note taking for research purposes. It will be graded as follows: two points are max credit for the notes, three points for the summary, and one point for the documentation, which we will add in class, all of us working on it together.

Week Five

Monday, 2/10 In-class activities: 1] At the homework table, turn in your paragraph about the communication skills you will need in order to be successful in your chosen professional field according to the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Use the resources listed below.

1. Why do we cite and What do we cite--what types of information must be cited?
  2. How do we recognize and avoid plagiarism?
  3. What are the penalities for plagiarism?
  4. What are the primary differences between MLA, APA and Turabian documentation styles?
  5. What information goes into the parenthetical citations?

Homework assignments for Wednesday, 2/12/14:
1. Read the email I sent you at 11:25 on Monday.
2. Be prepared to present
your group's information on citing sources that we began to discuss in class.
3. Finish the professional communication assignment,
including step 5, documenting the source. Save it electronically, and bring it with you electronically. I will NOT collect these in paper format at the start of class; rather, we will work with the electronic copy, and we will begin to write the next paragraph of this project in class.
4. Bring electronic copy of the Adams/Weins parahrased paragraph, which we will also document in class.
5. Be sure to add the citation information, specifically citing the profession page which you accessed from the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Read the instructions below.

Wednesday, 2/12 In-class activities: Finish discussion of citing conventions and add a works cited entry for the O.O.H. article.

Homework assignment for Monday, 2/17/14:
View the following videos:

Read (from the online the Guide to Grammar and Writing)

Type answers to these questions: 1] What are the parts of an essay? 2] Define a thesis statement in your own words, not verbatim from a source. 3] Describe the qualities of GOOD writing (any type of good writing) according to your definition of "good writing."

Week Six

Monday, 2/17 In-class activities: 1] Discuss the returned Adams/Wiens article prep. worksheets (2 points possible for the activity). 2] Discuss the works cited entries for the articles by Adams and the article by Wiens.

Homework assignments for Wednesday, 2/19/14:
Document the Adams/Wiens paraphrase paragraph with a works cited entry, and add the correct parenthetical citations for those two sources within the paragraph.
Read the instructions
for the third paragraph about communicating as a professional, which is research question
#3. How can I communicate professionally? Be sure to read the article that this page links to, about how to improve your grammar, then follow the paragraph writing instructions.
Write a paragraph describing your plan for developing at least three of the professional communication skills that you discussed in paragraphs #2 (the paraphrase from the O.O.H.) If you refer to the article about how to improve your grammar, then be sure to document the sources with a works cited and parenthetical citation.
Come to class prepared, with the homework above finished before class!

Wednesday, 2/19 In-class activities: 1] "Reconstructing Russell"--an essay organization activity. 2] Turn in notes from the O.O.H. and 3] Discuss the revision of the 3 body paragraphs into a researched essay using the grading rubric as your guideline.

Homework assignments for Monday, 2/24/14:
1. Finish the essay on how to communicate as a professional in your field of study.
2. Do the Plagiarism Tutorial: Test your knowledge and misconceptions about plagiarism, and learn why and how to avoid it! Don't send your results to me; rather, have them sent to your school email address. That way, if I want to disucss your results with you, you can do a Google share so that I can access them in Google Docs.
3. View the plagiarism videos in the video resources box at the top of our class page.
4. Read and take notes
from this lesson: Plagiarism 101. Be sure to click the four tab links along the top of the page that say "Citing Sources," "Ask the Experts," and "Resources." The Resources section has webcasts and videos about how to avoid plagiarism. Choose to view them and plan to spend some time browsing this site and the supplemental links. You will be held accountable for the information therein, whether you study the material or not, and the consequences for plagiarism have already been discussed--they can be quite dire, can't they?

Week Seven

Monday, 2/24 In-class activities: 1] Turn in your essay on communicating as a professional in your field of study. 2] Take the test on plagiarism and documenting conventions: 2a] Plagiarism and Documentation Test Part 1. Use scantron cards to answer Part 1 questions. No notes, no open sources while doing Part 1, please. 2b] After you give me your scantron, I will give you Part 2, in which you may use your online resources, the handbooks on the front shelf, your printed edition of the Norton Field Guide to Writing, etc.

Homework assignments for Wednesday, 2/26/14:
Do steps 1-4, which is called "Phase One," of the lesson plan called "The Myth of Multitasking." We will "tweak" the summary following class discussion, so draft it before you come to class.

Wednesday, 2/26 In-class activities: 1] Discuss the drafts of the summary which is due as homework today.

Homework assignment for Monday, 3/10/14:
Revise, proofread and edit your summary of the multitasking article. Include works cited at the end and bring to class on 3/10/14

Week Eight

Monday, 3/10 In-class activities: 1] Discuss revisions to Prof. Comm. essays, and 2] begin the errors analysis project. using the Norton On-line Handbook

Wednesday, 3/12 In-class activities: 1] Work on the errors analysis project. using the Norton On-line Handbook 2]

Homework assignment for Monday, 3/17/14:
Finish the errors analysis to turn in at the start of class Monday
Revise and edit the Sparks article summary about multitasking

Week Nine

Monday, 3/17 In-class activities: 1] Turn in errors analysis at the start of class. 2] Pair-share--peer review of the multitasking paragraphs. Note: Be certain that each summary is just a summary, that it does not include your replies to Sparks or thoughts about the article, but stays true to what she said.

Due today: Errors analysis project at the start of class; Sarah Sparks article summary, at the end of class

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 3/19/14:
Two ten-minute freewrites: The first freewrite discusses your thoughts about the conclusion of Sparks article, i.e.,  are people really multitaskers?  Should people be taught this ability? Why or why not? The second freewrite describes what your experiences have been when multitasking, in a specific situation (i.e., on the job, doing school, working at home, etc.). You can't make generalizations about your multitasking experiences and offer those generalizations as evidence of anything.

Wednesday, 3/19 In-class activities: Discuss our experiences as "multitaskers" and draft a paragraph describing a specific incident or situation in which we were multitasking, which will stand as an example of how well we have shifted our attentinon to a mlutitude of details and how that experience turned out. Please avoid or get past generalizations, and describe a specific incident, a spoecific example of your experiences as a "multitasker."

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 3/24/14:
Finish the paragraph we began in class today. This paragraph is step 5 of the Multitsking/Time Management essay lesson plan.

Week Ten

Monday, 3/24 In-class activities: Prepare for summarizing an article on time managment (steps 7 and 8 in the lesson plan) by using SQ4R note taking in Cornell format.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 3/26/14:
Draft a summary of the time management article, using SQ4R note taking in Cornell format

Wednesday, 3/26 In-class activities: 1] RE-discuss errors analysis projects. 2] Discuss homework--notes and summaries from the time management article. 3] Discuss application of the time management matrix (step 9).

Homework assignment for Monday, 3/31/14:
Compose a summary of the time management article from the MindTools web site. Stay true to the source, leaving out your comments, responses, replies or examples from your own experience. Document the sources with in-text citation and a parenthetical citation, and add a correctly formatted works cited section for this source.
Note: This summary is due at the start of class on Monday, 3/31, and it will be equivalent to an entire essay grade, 6 points, so give it your best effort. It's an opportunity to bump up your grade, and it will be used again in the multitasking/time management essay proper.

Week Eleven

Monday, 3/31 In-class activities: Discuss the article on Covey's time managment matrix and focus on notetaking and summarizing (steps 7 and 8 in the lesson plan) by using SQ4R note taking in Cornell format. Notes and summary are due at the end of class today. NOTE: The notes and the summary will be graded equivalent to an essay grade (6 points possible) because I want to ensure that you are able to take notes that can be used for research writing purposes.

Wednesday, 4/2 In-class activities: Discussing and applying the Urgent/Important matrix, i.e., body paragraph 4 of the researched essay on multitasking and time management.

Homework assignment for Monday, 4/7/14:
Finish the multitasking/time management researched essay following the outline and instructions at the bottom of the lesson plan page (step 12 on the lesson plan page). This lesson plan IS the grading rubric for the essays; paragraph-by-paragraph, the instructions are very, very specific, so follow them to get a great grade on the paper.

***Hey, folks, here is some VCCS scholarship money that may be available to YOU!***

Week Twelve

Monday, 4/7 In-class activities: 1] Submit your multitasking & time management essays by 8:10. 2] Begin developing your webfolio website. Samples from Fall 2013 T-Th class and M-W class, and from Summer 2012. Once logged in, copy and paste this URL for the help pages if you cannot locate the help button: https://support.google.com/sites/?hl=en#topic=1689606

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/9/14:
Via my email, (dollier@tncc.edu) send me the link to your webfolio homepage. Your homepage will include 1] at least one image--an image of you or one which represents you in some way, 2] a description of the purpose of this website incase someone stumbles upon it unintentionally while surfing the Web, 3] a brief introduction of yourself, 4] a link to your college email address and a link to our Eng 111 class page.

Wednesday, 4/9 We do not meet in the classroom today. Instead, use class time to complete the homepage of your webfolio and email the link to me. It is due by 5 p.m. today. I am in Roanoke for the VCCS New Horizons conference and will access my email after the day's sessions are over.

Homework assignment for Monday, 4/14/14:
Read an excerpt from Chapter 2 of On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life: "Adopting a Creator Mindset"
Read Creator and Victim behaviors and language from Prof. David Mirman's teaching blog.
View three videos about Creators and Victims (and take notes!): Dominic, Jesse, the Professors
Write a documented summary of Mirman's article, appx. 150 words. In the summary, stay true to the article, not adding information from the excerpt, nor from the videos, nor from your personal experience.

Week Thirteen

Monday, 4/14 In-class activities: 1] Discuss revisions and corrections to professional communication and time management essays. 2] Begin revisions and corrections.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/16/14:

Wednesday, 4/16 In-class activities: 1] Discuss Creators and Victims and do related activities.

Homework assignments for Monday, 4/21/14:
Finish ranking the Excuses and Reasons and be prepared to talk about why you ranked them as you did
Edit your returned papers to prepare them for uploading to your webfolio
Write: I want you to think about a time when you played the Victim role, and write a paragraph or two describing what happened in that situation. We will incorporate that into this essay you are writing about Creator and Victim mindsets.
Bring the summary of Mirman's article and your personal experience paragraph(s) to class

Week Fourteen

Monday, 4/21 In-class activities: 1] Discuss direct quoting in researched essays and add a direct quote. 2] Earn extra credit.

Homework assignments for Wednesday, 4/23/14:
Use the outline in the
grading rubric and follow those instructions precisely for completing the C/V essay. The paper is due at the start of class for peer review, and at the end of class with revision and edits from your reader's responses to it and evaluation of it. In other words, don't plan to write the paper in class; there will not be enough time.

Wednesday, 4/23 In-class activities: 1] Class share: look at use of direct quotes, citations, works cited section of Creator/Victim essays. 2] Peer review Creator/Victim essays.

Homework assignments for THURSDAY, 4/24/14, by 3:15 p.m:
Extended deadline for Creator/Vicitm essays based on our class discussion today. Bring the printed copy of the essays to me today, 4/23 (I will be in 916 from 12:30-1:45) or tomorrow in 916 between 8 and 3:15. OR leave them in my mailbox in my Division office, room 857 by 3:15 on Thursday, no later because that is when I leave campus on Thursday, and I will be at the Williamsburg campus on Friday and will have no opportunity to grade papers before Monday which were not submitted by Thursday 3:15. Late papers will earn no more than 1/2 credit, so get them to me folks.

Homework assignments for Monday, 4/28/14:
Edit/correct/perfect your returned papers to post to your webfolio.
Google sites webfolio help pages

Sample webfolios:
Fall 2013 Eng 111/ENF 3
Summer 2012 Eng 111
Summer 2011 Eng 111

Note: Some of the webfolios may be inactive, and some may require you to be logged in to MyTNCC before viewing, so you may want to go ahead and log in before clicking the links to my former students' webfolios.

Week Fifteen

Monday, 4/28 In-class activity: 1] Webfolio workshop

Homework assignments for Wednesday, 4/30/14:
Revise Hartman (one-page paper) from week two. Include a works cited and a link to a description of the
Hartman Color Test in Wikipedia
Edit/correct/perfect
your returned papers to post to your webfolio. Webfolio contents listed below:

• Home page identifies you and tells a bit about you
  • States the purpose of this web site
  • Includes at least one image of you or one which represents you
  • Includes a Table of Contents to list and link to your projects
  • Links to our class page
  • Add a link to your VCCS email
Projects included in Webfolios:
1] Hartman profile, two paragraphs, documented source
2] Professional Communication essay
3] Summary of Podmoroff article (the matrix)
4] Multitasking & Time Management essay
5] Creator Mindset essay

Wednesday, 4/30 In-class activities: 1] Semester self-evaluation based on Hartman papers and revised work for webfolios. Look at your Hartman profile paragraphs, and write two paragraphs about the progress you have made in writing this semester. One paragraph will focus on what you have learned about developing the content of your essays and documenting them, and the other will focus on the editing skills you have developed this semester and how you developed them. 2] Revise and edit the Hartman profile paragrapsh to post in your webfolio. 3] Web folio workshop

Homework assignments for Monday, 5/5/14:
Edit/correct/perfect your returned Hartman paper for posting in your webfolio, and finish the self-evaluation for posting in your webfolio.

Week Sixteen

Monday, 5/5 In-class activities: Final webfolio workshop. Webfolios are due at 9:15. No excuses, no extensions, no exceptions.edit.

Week Sixteen.5 (!!)

Monday, 5/12 In-class activities: Webfolio revisions, corrections workshop. That is our final.

Your Webfolios: Work you should be proud of!

Return to Mr. D's Index page