R. Dollieslager's English 111, Mon - Weds 10:30-11:45
Weekly Schedule Spring 2013
Thomas Nelson Community College

Interstate GO

world in your hands

The road to your destination leads right through this class.

Page last Updated: 24 April 2013, 8:00 a.m.

This schedule will be updated frequently, so check it often.

Week 1

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Week One

Day One , 1/7 or 1/8 1] Getting started: "house-keeping" and policies for success

Homework assignment for Day Two:
Answer the questions about the "6 W's" and summary leads.

Day Two, 1/9 or 1/10 1] Discuss 6W's and summary leads. 2] Draft a news story about yourself. Save it in MS Word format or .rtf (Rich Text Format) 3] Here is how to post it in the Fodey News. In class next week you will peer review your MS Word documents and then we will post them as news stories when they are edited.

Homework assignment for Day Three:
1] Draft a news story of about 250 words (a "one-pager") about yourself. 2] Save it in MS Word format or .rtf (Rich Text Format). 3] Bring it to class on a flash drive.

Week Two

Day Three , 1/14 or 1/15 1] Peer review the 250-word news stories about yourselves. 2] Print and submit the news story. 3] Post the news story to Fodey and print the clip.

Homework assignment for Day Four:
Finish your story about yourself, following my instructions for revision. Make sure it is a full "one-pager," about 250 words in length. On Thursday, you will turn these in at the start of class and then
upload them to Fodey News.
Read about
George Orwell, a timeline of George Orwell's life, The British Raj
Start your grammar journal

Day Four, 1/16 or 1/17 1] Post the news story to Fodey and print the clip. Here is my news story, which we can use to model the process. 2] Take Cornell notes on background to Orwell. We will be writng about both Orwell and Hughes, so you will want to know quite a lot about them. 3] Preview "Shooting an Elephant" together to prepare for the Orwell and Hughes critical reading assignment.

Homework assignment for Day Five:
Read about
George Orwell, a timeline of George Orwell's life, The British Raj
Listen: 10-minute NPR discussion of Orwell at 100 years
View videos about Orwell: Orwell's final warning (just two minutes) and six short videos of about 7 minutes each about his life and works. Segment two discusses "Shooting an Elephant."
Start your grammar journal
Tues.-Thurs. class, finish the reading analysis exercise that we began in class covering JUST the questions about "Shooting an Elephant."

Week Three

Day Five, 1/23 1] Discuss "Shooting an Elephant" 2] Practicing summarizing: Compose a group news story about the incident in which an English police officer in Burma shot an elephant that had gone on a rampage

Homework assignment for Day Six:
Read and view all of the background information on Langston Hughes
Finish the study guide
on "Salvation." You will turn this in for a grade at the next class.
Take notes on Hughes life and on the story because you will be writing about how these incidents were defining moments in their lives.

Week Four

Monday, 1/28 1] Turn in critical reading worksheet for Langston Hughes--just Hughes, not Orwell. At the bottom include your news story about George Orwell's elephant incident. 2] Discuss "Salvation" 3] Practicing summarizing: Compose an "academic" summary of the Hughes story

Homework assignment for 1/30:
Write a summary of "Salvation," appx. 250 words in length

Wednesday, 1/30 1] Documenting the summary of "Salvation" with a correct works cited entry. 2] Use a citation generator as a tool for developing and formatting the works cited entries. Citation generators are good tools, but they are notoriously imperfect, so we will still have to compare their output against the correct works cited models which reflect MLA style and practices. 3] Turn in your summary of "Salvation."
Resources: Research paper section of the Norton Field Guide to Writing
Citation generator: Son of Citation Machine

Homework assignment for 2/4:
Write one paragraph of appx. 200-250 words describing what you know about either Langston Hughes or George Orwell from our class discussions or our research. Focus on biographical information: When and where he lived, what his jobs were, what was happening in the world that he lived in, what his life was like, in other words.
Revise and edit your returned news story about yourself
Finish your grammar journal entries for the errors I marked on your news story about yourself

Week Five

Monday, 2/4 Turn In: A.) Your paragraph of biographical information about Orwell OR Hughes, B.) revised draft and the marked draft of your news story about yourself, and C.) Grammar Notebook check. I want to see them, folks.
In-Class Agenda: 1] Approve
the syllabus and "sign zee papers." 2] With your group colleagues, share notes, information, rough draft of your groups' news story about Eric Blair and the elephant. Everyone in your group has to have all the information individually becuase y'all are going to finish it individually. Outside of class. OR you can finish it together. Outside of class. Set up a Dropbox site for yourselves if you want to collaborate outside of class. 3] Discuss What do we need to know about Orwell and Hughes to write the essay. 4] Begin drafting the homework assignment.

Resources for completing the revisions and edits:

Homework assignment for 2/6:
Finish,
individually, the group news story that you drafted about Eric Blair and the elephant incident.
Write
one or two paragraphs (200-400 words) about the literary work that Hughes or Orwell have come to be famous for. How much did they write in their lifetimes? What were the topics they wrote about? What themes did their writings address? How influential were they?
Notes on further research:

Week Six

Monday, 2/11 Turn In: Grammar Notebook check. I want to see your note books while you are revising and editing today.
In-class: Revising the paragraphs on Hughes or Orwell into an essay. Choose to write about one man or the other. The topic is how the story we read represents a defining moment in either man's life, an event which helped to shape his life and the political and literary influence his work had on his times and since his times. Here is an outline:

Homework assignment for 2/13:
Finish
composing the researched essay on Orwell's or Hughes' defining moments
Print it out BEFORE you come to class.
Bring it with you in hard copy and electronic copy

Wednesday, 2/13 Peer reviewing the researched essay on Hughes or Orwell. Remember, what we are going to show in the essay is HOW these events were defining moments in the lives of one of these two writers. Make sure that is clear in the paragraphs about the lives they lived, and most importantly in the paragraphs about their literary works. Hughes becomes a disillusioned young man when he loses his religion at age 13 (almost), and the life he lives and the things he writes about thereafter reflect disillusionment. Likewise, the elephant incident forces Orwell to make choices which he hates to make because he is playing the role of the outside, imperial oppressor. ("Every man wears a mask, and his face grows to fit it.") Orwell spends the rest of his life writing about oppressive governments and warning ALL of us not to sit idly by and LET government become oppressive. Make sure it is clear in the essay that this incident illustrated that to Orwell. The agonizingly slow, painful death of the elephant, in a fairly direct way, illustrates the death of Eric Blair, the Imperial Police Officer of the British Raj, and the birth of the person we have come to know as George Orwell.

Use this Word document for peer review of your essay, and if you were not in class today, use it for self-assessing the draft of your essay.

Homework assignments for 2/18:
I. Finish
the researched essay on Orwell's or Hughes' defining moments. This is due at the start of class on Monday, ready for me to grade it.

II. Do the following Documentation Conventions worksheet by copying and pasting the 10 questions into a Word document. Answer all questions in your own words, in complete, grammatically correct sentences. This will be a graded assignment equivalent to 1/2 of an essay grade. You may work together with a colleague or colleagues on this if you wish to and turn it in with both names or turn it in individually.

Parenthetical citations

1. Why do we cite?
  2. Why do we use parenthetical citations rather than endnotes or footnotes?
  3. In MLA style, what information, in general, goes into the parentheses for an ON-LINE source?

Works Cited entries

1. Where are they located in the paper?
  2. What information, in general, is included in a works cited entry for an ON-LINE source?
  3. How is the list of works cited entries organized in a paper?

Plagiarism

1. What is plagiarism?
  2. How is it avoided?
  3. What sorts of information must be cited?
  4. What is (are) the penalty (penalties) for intentional plagiarism? For UN-intentional plagiarism? (See page 50 of the TNCC Student Handbook)

Week Seven

Monday 2/18 In-class activity: Begin your electronic "Research Writing and Documenting" journal using the Documentation Conventions worksheet (due today) as your starter.

Homework assignments for 2/20:
Finish
and document the article summary

Wednesday 2/20 In-class activity: 1] Discuss the multitasking article and summary. 2] Begin brainstorming steps 5 and 6 on the multitasking lesson plan

Homework assignments for 2/25:
First, this assignment for Monday is much bigger than it needed to be, and that is because most of y'all did not get the assignment for today finished. Folks, in order for me to keep the classroom "flipped," where we do the hard work IN class instead of outside, you have to do your part and finish your assigned projects outside of class. Maybe the lesson on multitasking and time management is exactly what y'all need in order to get things done, eh?

Finish writing the summary of the article, per steps 1-4 on the multitasking lesson plan
Compose
your paragraph on a multitasking experience per steps 5 and 6 of the multitasking lesson plan
Finish steps 7 through 9 on the multitasking lesson plan including the homework that follows step nine on that lesson page.

Week Eight

Monday 2/25 In-class activity: 1] Discuss the time management article and Steven Covey's matrix quadrants. 2] Make a time management grid. 3] Discuss results of your time management matrix with this question to answer as an outcome: How do I get more of my school-related activities moved into Q2? 4] Begin drafting the paragraph (step 11 on the multitasking lesson plan)

Homework assignments for 2/27:
Finish
the paragraph on how you use time and how you will move more of your school-related activities into Q2. This MAY be two paragraphs rather than one.
Finish the four assigned paragraphs that are the outcomes of steps 4, 6, 8 and 11. These will be the body paragraphs of your researched essay on multitasking and time management in order to be successful in college.
Turn in all of the assignments listed after steps 4, 6, 9 and 11 on the multitasking lesson plan.

Wednesday 2/27 In-class activities: 1] Making inferences while reading: "The Story Crossword." 2] Revising and documenting the essay on multitasking and time management in order to be successful in college.

Homework assignments for 3/11:
1] Finish
the story crossword
2] Revise (or edit) your Hughes or Orwell essay to turn in at the start of class on Monday 3/11 for final grading

3] Finish drafting the multitasking/time management essay per the instructions in the outline. We will examine the documentation that you used (parenthetical citations and works cited entries) before submitting the papers at 11:15 on Monday morning. I.e., we will spend only about a half hour tweaking the documentation, and then the essay will be submitted for grading, so make sure it is complete and follows the instructions for the assignment.

Week Nine

Monday 3/11 In-class activity: 1] Turn in the Story Crossword and the revised Hughes or Orwell essay. 2] Check your time management essay on the plagiarism checker so that you understand how it works and how to use it. 3] Check the parenthetical citations and the works cited entries for each source used.

Homework assignment for 3/13: Finish documenting, revising, editing the multitasking/time management essay. Due at the start of class on Weds.

Wednesday 3/13 In-class activity: In small groups, prepare Cornell pre-reading notes for a short article on George Orwell's "rules for writing."

Homework assignment for 3/18:
1] Finish
revising these sentences taken from Orwell's essay in whatever way sounds best to you.
2 ] Then,
use any of those sentences from "A Hanging" to recast into the patterns outlined on this sentence construction and patterns exercise.
3] Identify each sentence pattern you have revised these sentences into. (Simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex.)
4] Add an entry
in your grammar journals discussing what you know about each of these sentence patterns.

Week Ten

Monday 3/18 In-class activity: Discuss the four basic sentence patterns from the handout (today's assignment) and also how to punctuate using quotation marks along with other punctuation marks. 2] Check your reconstructions by working with colleagues.

Homework assignment for 3/20:
Finish
the sentence patterns exercise that we were revising in ENF 3 class
Freewrite at least one full page (typed, double-spaced) on the following: My goals in life, in my profession following college, in college, at TNCC, and from this class.

Wednesday 3/20 Turn in the following: A] sentence combining exercise, B] sentence patterns exercise, C] freewrite about your goals
In-class activities:
1] Read about and take notes on the VARK 2] Take the VARK. 3] Discuss your VARK results.

Homework assignment for 3/25:
Write a few paragraphs
about the VARK, your VARK profile, and the advice it provides for your learning modality or modalities.

aardvark
Hey! you talkin' bout ME!?

Week Eleven

Monday 3/25 In-class activity: Advising and registration workshop, today and today only--so let's get 'er done! Here are some instructions to get us started.

Homework assignment for 3/27:
Turn in
your edited VARK paragraphs a the start of class
Register
for summer and fall

On-line handbook and video resources for documenting your essays:

Monday 3/27 Skills and drills day: Folks, I was sidelined last week, and as a result, I am way farther behind than I was seven days ago, so we will get more familiar with some of our supplemental online resources today. Today, we will explore whether, or the degree to which, punctuation matters. 1] Let's start by punctuating a letter. 2] Next, we should see what business and the law think about punctuation.

Homework assignment for 4/1: (This is NOT an April Fool's joke!)
Finish the
punctuation and sentence boundary lessons from Norton's handbook exercises that we began in class.
Please do not email me the results of each of your lessons/quizzes. To grade your homework, I will check your grammar notebooks during class on Monday.

Week Twelve (Cyber Wednesday!)

Monday 4/1
Due: 1] Grammar check.
I want to see and give you credit for doing the punctuation and grammar assignments posted last Wednesday. 2] In-class Activity: Take this link to
the Icarus assignment. Answer the first three questions using reading links whch are provided on the page. The link to the stories about Daedalus are halfway down the page that begins with a description of Theseus in Bullfinch's Mythology on line. After reading the selesction ans answering the research question 1, 2 and 3, go to step 4, which is to punctuate the poem as ordinary prose sentences--as if i were a short paragraph describing the painting rahter than they lovely poem that it is now

Next week we will discuss William Carlos Williams, Daedalus and Icarus, and your reconstruction of the poem into prose. Don't change any words or add any to the poem when recasting it into sentences. Take the links at the bottom of the Icarus lesson page and read some more wonderful poems about this myth, but don't write any of the essay topics. (Yet) :-)

Homework assignment:
Read your email every day and come to this class page every day.
Finish the Icarus assignment entirely by Friday 4/5/13
Additionally, read the other poems about Icarus (which I link to at the bottom of the lesson page) AFTER you have done the rest of this project. I think one of them is hilarious, and I will have you write in class about why it is funny. But you have to fully understand the Icarus myth before you will see the humor.

Week Thirteen

Monday 4/8
Activity: 1] Cheating on Icarus:
compare your responses with colleagues until 11:00 straight up. That is all the time we will spend on the Icarus project. You will turn it in at the end of class today. 2]
Review these sentence patterns described in a page of the Purdue OWL. 3] Either find an example of each pattern from the sentences you wrote in your multitasking essay, or reconstruct one or two of your sentences from that essay to reflect each of the patterns. Type or paste those sentences into the same document that you created for the Icarus assignment, with the Icarus assignment above and the sentence patterns below it.

NOTE: Together, the Icarus assignment, and the sentence patterns assignment posted above will equate to an essay grade, which is 6 points, so do them well, do them carefully, do them on time, and proofread and edit them! Since you will have had an entire week to do these two assignments, NQA coupons are void for them: i.e., you may NOT use your NQA coupon for these two assignments.

Homework assignment:
Retreive your multitasking essay from me if you want to mark paper copy. I have not yet marked them. I want you to look at the editing and documenting corrections that you still need to make based on your returned Orwell or Hughes essay, and correct those errors in your multitasking essay! I don't want to mark the same errors in this paper that I've been marking all semester. You won't like your grades if you aren't improving those mistakes. I will collect the multitasking essay on Weds. and I will grade it as is. You may ask any questions you have about your parenthetical citations and your works cited entries at the start of class, but that is all we will spend time on with regard to the multitasking essay. Also, make sure your body paragraphs have topic sentences!

Week Fourteen

Monday 4/15
Activity: Discuss topics
for the
in-class final and how to proficiency the exit exam essay: Show that you know punctuation and grammar!

Resources for completing the rest of your assignments and brushing up:

Wednesday 4/17
Activity: Draft
the in-class essays. Quietly today, please.

Week Fifteen

Monday 4/22
Activity: Draft/discuss
the final essays

Homework assignment:
Finish drafting the final essay for peer review on Weds.

Wednesday 4/24
Activity: 1] Peer Review
the final essays, using the
peer review comments sheet and the Editing Checklist (scroll to the bottom for the actual checklist) from the Guide to Grammar and Writing. 2] Revise, complete, edit, polish the essay to perfection. Use the Proofreading/Editing Checklist page from the GGW to link to your editing resources. 3] Mini conferences with Mr. D. 4] Print final draft, 2 copies, stapled separately at the top left corner.

Homework assignment:
1] Course Evaluations: Go to your TNCC email and do evaluations of your courses. 2] Prepare your portfolios for final evaluation. Your portfolios will include the last marked draft of your papers (with my grades and suggestions on them) and the final copy of the papers listed below. If you don't have both, your portfolio cannot earn the total points possible (6). The papers include the following:

Week Sixteen

Monday 4/29
Activities: 1] Print out a copy of your final,
in the same version that you printed last Wednesday. 2] Revise/edit/correct your final essay, per my marks, to go into your course portfolio. I will grade the portfolios in class and return them to you before we leave today, or we can meet on Wednesday for our final. Your call. 3] Write this
Eng111/ENF 3 survey. 4] Go to your TNCC email and fill out your course evaluations, please. This is very important to your professors.

Finito!

Return to Mr. D's Index page