R. Dollieslager's English 111, Tues-Thurs 8-9:15
Weekly Schedule Spring 2013
Thomas Nelson Community College

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Mr. D at work

Page last Updated: 25 April 2013, 10:40 a.m.

This schedule will be updated frequently, so check it often.

Week 1

Week One

Day One , 1/7 or 1/8 1] Getting started: "house-keeping" and policies for success

Homework assignment for Day Two:
Answer the questions about the "6 W's" and summary leads.

Day Two, 1/9 or 1/10 1] Discuss 6W's and summary leads. 2] Draft a news story about yourself. Save it in MS Word format or .rtf (Rich Text Format) 3] Here is how to post it in the Fodey News. In class next week you will peer review your MS Word documents and then we will post them as news stories when they are edited.

Homework assignment for Day Three:
1] Draft a news story of about 250 words (a "one-pager") about yourself. 2] Save it in MS Word format or .rtf (Rich Text Format). 3] Bring it to class on a flash drive.

Week Two

Day Three , 1/14 or 1/15 1] Peer review the 250-word news stories about yourselves. 2] Print and submit the news story. 3] Post the news story to Fodey and print the clip.

Homework assignment for Day Four:
Finish your story about yourself, following my instructions for revision. Make sure it is a full "one-pager," about 250 words in length. On Thursday, you will turn these in at the start of class and then
upload them to Fodey News.
Read about
George Orwell, a timeline of George Orwell's life, The British Raj
Start your grammar journal

Day Four, 1/16 or 1/17 1] Post the news story to Fodey and print the clip. Here is my news story, which we can use to model the process. 2] Take Cornell notes on background to Orwell. We will be writng about both Orwell and Hughes, so you will want to know quite a lot about them. 3] Preview "Shooting an Elephant" together to prepare for the Orwell and Hughes critical reading assignment.

Homework assignment for Day Five:
Read about
George Orwell, a timeline of George Orwell's life, The British Raj
Listen: 10-minute NPR discussion of Orwell at 100 years
View videos about Orwell: Orwell's final warning (just two minutes) and six short videos of about 7 minutes each about his life and works. Segment two discusses "Shooting an Elephant."
Start your grammar journal
Tues.-Thurs. class, finish the reading analysis exercise that we began in class covering JUST the questions about "Shooting an Elephant."

Week Three

Day Five, 1/22 1] Discuss "Shooting an Elephant" 2] View video about Langston Hughes. TAKE NOTES! You will be writing about Hughes next week, specifically about how the story "Salvation" is a defining moment in his life.

Homework assignment for Day Six:
Read and view all of the background information on Langston Hughes
Finish the study guide
on "Salvation." You will turn this in at the next class
Take notes on Hughes life and on the story because you will be writing about how these incidents were defining moments in their lives.

Day Six, 1/24 1] Turn in critical reading worksheet for Langston Hughes--just Hughes, not Orwell. 2] Practicing summarizing: Compose a group news story about the incident in which an English police officer in Burma shot an elephant that had gone on a rampage, using the particulars of Orwell's essay. 3] Preview instructions for writing an "academic" summary.

Homework assignment for Day Seven:
Write a summary of "Salvation" in 250 words. It is due at the start of class next week.
Take copious notes on Hughes life and on the story because you will be writing, next week, about how these incidents were defining moments in the lives of Langston Hughes or George Orwell.

Week Four

Day Seven, 1/29 In-class activities: 1] Documenting the news story about Eric Blair and the summary of "Salvation" with a correct works cited entry for each. 2] Use a citation generator as a tool for developing and formatting the works cited entries. Citation generators are good tools, but they are notoriously imperfect, so we will still have to compare their output against the correct works cited models which reflect MLA style and practices. 3] Discuss "Salvation" and the ways in which this incident was a defining moment in the life of young Langston Hughes.

Homework assignment for 1/31:
Write one paragraph of appx. 200 words describing what you know about either Langston Hughes or George Orwell from our class discussions or our research. Focus on biographical information: When and where he lived, what his jobs were, what was happening in the world that he lived in, what his life was like, in other words.

Thursday, 1/31 In-class activities: 1] Status check on group news stories on Eric Blair and the elephant. Let's get them fleshed out to 250-300 words and turned in. 2] Group discussion: What do we collectively know about Orwell's and Hughes' work in order to write the next one or two paragraphs? (See the asignment below).

Resources for completing the revisions and edits:

Homework assignment for 2/5
Revise and resubmit
your news stories about yourself. Submit the marked version and the revised version.
Add your editing errors
and the conventions I discussed in class to your Grammar Journal. I will check your grammar journals in class on Tuesday.
Write
one or two paragraphs (200-400 words) about the literary work that Hughes or Orwell have come to be famous for. How much did they write in their lifetimes? What were the topics they wrote about? What themes did their writings address? How influential were they?
Notes on further research:

Week Five

Tuesday, 2/5 Cyber Day: I can't join you for class today, so go to the Academic Computing Lab or the Library, and answer the following reserach questions in your own words (so that you are NOT plagiarizing). Type your answers and place them in my mailbox in room 852 of Templin Hall by 10:30 today, along with your revised news stories about yourself and your paragraph or two about the literary work of either Hughes or Orwell and its impact on not just literarture but national and world politics and philosophy, per the assignment posted for today.

Documenting your sources with parenthetical citations and works cited entries to avoid plagiarism. Academic research questions are posted below.

Parenthetical citations

1. Why do we cite?
  2. Why do we use parenthetical citations rather than endnotes or footnotes?
  3. In MLA style, what information, in general, goes into the parentheses for an ON-LINE source?

Works Cited entries

1. Where are they located in the paper?
  2. What information, in general, is included in a works cited entry for an ON-LINE source?
  3. How is the list of works cited entries organized in a paper?

Plagiarism

1. What is plagiarism?
  2. How is it avoided?
  3. What sorts of information must be cited?
  4. What is (are) the penalty (penalties) for intentional plagiarism? For UN-intentional plagiarism? (See page 50 of the TNCC Student Handbook)

Thursday, 2/7 In Class: 1] Approve the syllabus and "sign zee papers." 2] Review sentence constructions and sentence grammar via sentence scrabble

Week Six

Tuesday, 2/11 Grammar Journal Day: 1] Grammar notebook check (2 pts possible). 2] Perfect Copy: Work two A2 or A3 indexed lessons in each area for which you have started a page in your grammar journal, and update your journal with the new information you have learned from Perfect Copy today. 3] Conduct Contract final collection (1 pt.)

Homework assignment for 2/14:
Finish updating your grammar journals. Outside of class, you may use Perfect Copy in the Writing Center, or you may use the Norton on-line exercises from anywhere instead of the Perfect Copy lessons to link you to the appropriate sections of the Norton Field Guide to Writing.
NOTE: Perfect Copy's verb lessons are on irregular verbs and subject-verb agreement. Other lessons on verb tenses and verb forms have to be worked from the Norton Field Guide.

Thursday, 2/13 1] Discuss and take notes on MLA documentation conventions, style and format in your documentations journal. 2] Form a human works cited entry for an article published on line.

Homework assignment for 2/19:
Do steps 1-4 of the
multitasking reading/writing assignment

Week Seven

Tuesday, 2/19 In-class: Revising the paragraphs on Hughes or Orwell into an essay. Choose to write about one man or the other. The topic is how the story we read represents a defining moment in either man's life, an event which helped to shape his life and the political and literary influence his work had on his times and since his times. Here is a "chunking" outline:

This is what a numbered topic outline might look like:

I. Prologue, summary of "Salvation"
II. Expository introductory paragraph

A. Sets "the hook"

B. Narrows the focus

C. States the thesis

III. Bio paragraph 1, early years growing up in segregated society
IV. Bio paragraph 2, his "journey" through life. Why was he on a "journey" (as he called his life)? What was he seeking?
V. Literary works paragraph 1, overview. What types of things did he write? What were the themes he wrote about? How was his work regarded in his lifetime?
VI. Literary works paragraph 2, focuses on two of his writings which SHOW that Hughes was disillusioned (Note from Mr. D. -->I will select two just for illustration.)

A. "Goodbye Christ"

B. "A Dream Deferred"

VII. Conclusion recaps why the "Salvation" incident was a defining moment in his life

Homework assignment for 2/21:
Use the peer review sheet to critique your own essay. Those are the basis upon which your paper will be evaluated. You may get another peer reviewer if you wish. The essay on Hughes is due at the start of class on Thursday, turned in to be graded. Andre, your essay on Orwell is due at the start of class Thursday.
Use this Word document for peer review of your essay if you were not in class today; use it for self-assessing your essay.

Thursday, 2/21 In-class: Final revisions, edits and documentation conventions on the Hughes or Orwell essay. It is due today at 11:50. I will be in the classroom until then to assist anyone who stays after class.

Homework assignment for 2/26:
Do steps 1-4 of the multitasking reading/writing assignment

Week Eight

Tuesday, 2/26 In-class: Steps 5 and 6 on the multitasking essay lesson page

Homework assignment for 2/28:
Do steps 7 and 8 on the multitasking essay lesson page

Thursday, 2/28 In-class: Steps 9, 10 and 11

Homework assignment for 3/12:
1] Revise and edit your Hughes or Orwell essay to turn in at the start of class on Tuesday 3/12 for final grading

2] Do step 12 on the multitasking essay lesson page, finishing the the essay, per the instructions in the outline. We will examine the documentation that you used (parenthetical citations and works cited entries) before submitting the papers at 8:45 on Tuesday morning. I.e., we will spend only about a half hour tweaking the documentation, and then the essay will be submitted for grading, so make sure it is complete and follows the instructions for the assignment.

Note to iPad, iPod and iPhone users: Son of Citation Machine, which we have used in class to help generate the citations and works cited entries, has a very handy app that you can download for free. Likewise, there is a free Dropbox app.

Week Nine

Tuesday, 3/12 In-class: discuss/tweak the documentation of the multitasking/time management essay

Homework assignment for 3/14:
Write a summary (appx. 200 words in length) of "George Orwell's Rules for Writers" from your reading notes that we began in class. Turn in your notes with the summary. Both will receive grades.

Thursday, 3/14 In-class activity: 1] A sentence-combining overview. 2] Revise these sentences taken from another of Orwell's essays about his life in Burma, called "A Hanging." Combine them in whatever way seems most appropriate stylistically.

Homework assignment for 3/19:
1] Rewrite the Orwell sentences so that you have an example of each sentence pattern outlined on this sentence construction and patterns exercise.
2] Identify each sentence pattern you have revised these sentences into.
3] Add an entry
in your grammar journals discussing what you know about each of these sentence patterns.

Week Ten

Tuesday, 3/19 In-class activity: Discuss the four basic sentence patterns from the handout (today's assignment) and also how to punctuate using quotation marks along with other punctuation marks. 2] Check your reconstructions by working with colleagues. Label the sentence patterns as simple, compound, complex or compound-complex. Use the handbook section of the Norton Field Guide to Writing for discussion or models.

Homework assignment for 3/21:
Compose at least one full page (typed, double-spaced) on the following: My goals in life, in my profession following college, in college, at TNCC, and from this class.
Be prepared to discuss whether you would want me to punctuate the following sentence with commas or without them: 1] All students, who are bobbleheads, will fail my English 111 class. OR 2] All students who are bobbleheads will fail my English 111 class.

Thursday, 3/21 In-class activity:

Homework assignment for 3/26:
Correct the returned sentences from the sentence-combining exercise. AND add notes to your grammar notebook, discussing what you have learned about any of the corrections that I marked on the exercise. Here are the sentences as Orwell wrote them. Compare yours to his. How did you do?

Week Eleven

Tuesday, 3/26 In-class activity: 1] Discuss the importance of following instructions. 2] Read, write about and discuss the importance of topic sentences

On-line handbook and video resources for documenting your essays:

Homework assignment for 3/26:
1. Revise the content of your Hughes or Orwell essay based on our class discussion, being particularly mindful of these considerations:

2. View the videos above about documenting your sources according to the MLA stylebook. It will take a little over 30 minutes (minus the annoying "commercials" . . . grrrr). This is all material that we have covered in class and that you have been directed to in the Norton Handbook, The videos are another way to learn the material. You can go back to them over and over to reinforce what you are learning about how, when, why and where to document.
3. Cite your sources correctly in the text of the essay in parenthesis (or journalistically if that way is appropriate). Note: Please do this after reviewing the videos and the applicable section of the handbook. (Remember: "No quote stands alone. No quote stands alone. It's not like a stinky cheese; no quote stands alone." Sing it!!)
4. Correct the works cited section where I have marked errors in it.

Thursday, 3/28 In-class activity: 1] Work Perfect Copy or Norton exercises on the editing errors that I marked on your revised draft. 2] Add entries in your grammar notebook on what you learn about your editing errors. 3] Correct the editing errors in your paper.

Homework assignment for 4/2
Finish the
punctuation and sentence boundary lessons from Norton's handbook exercises that we began in class.
Please do not email me the results of each of your lessons/quizzes. To grade your homework, I will check your grammar notebooks during class on Tuesday, 4/9/13
Check your email daily. I will send you assignments and instructiosn for what to do during "Cyber Week." We will not meet in the classroom next week.

Week Twelve--Cyber Week!

Tuesday, 4/2/13
Activity:
As you recall, I will be at a VCCS conference in Roanoke this week, so we will conduct "class" in cyber space today and Thursday. You may do this in collaboration with your colleagues (which is my advice), or you may do it on your own, wherever you have access to a computer which links to the Internet and has a word proccessing system. Take this link to
the Icarus assignment. Answer the first three questions using thereading links which are provided on that page. The link to the stories about Daedalus are halfway down the page that begins with a description of Theseus in Bullfinch's Mythology online. After reading the selection and answering the research questions 1, 2 and 3, go to step 4, which is to punctuate the poem as ordinary prose sentences--as if it were a short paragraph describing the painting rather than the lovely poem that it is now.

Next week we will discuss William Carlos Williams, Daedalus and Icarus, and your reconstruction of the poem into prose. Don't change any words or add any to the poem when recasting it into sentences. Take the links at the bottom of the Icarus lesson page and read some more wonderful poems about this myth, but don't write any of the essay topics. (Yet) :-)

Homework assignment:
Read your email every day and come to this class page every day.
Finish the Icarus assignment entirely by Friday 4/5/13
Additionally, read the other poems about Icarus which I link to at the bottom of the lesson page AFTER you have done the rest of this project.. I think one of them is hilarious, and I will have you write in class about why it is funny. However, you have to fully understand the Icarus myth before you will see the humor.

Thursday, 4/4/13
Due date/time for Icarus assignment posted this week: On or before 8:00 a.m., Tuesday, 4/9/13. NO EXCEPTIONS! NO EXTENSIONS! NO EXCUSES! Read the rules below for these projects.

Week Thirteen

Tuesday 4/9
Activity: 1]
]
Review these sentence patterns described in a page of the Purdue OWL. 2] Either find an example of each pattern from the sentences you wrote in your multitasking essay, or reconstruct one or two of your sentences from that essay to reflect each of the patterns. Turn in by the end of Eng 111/ENF 3 today.

Homework assignment:
For next Tuesday, you have Perfect Copy lessons to work. You may start them in class and finish them in the Writing Center. They are only available to use on campus--in our classroom or in the Writing Center. This is the agenda for Thursday's class as well: working the Perfect Copy lessons.

Series A2 Lessons

Series A3 Lessons

Week Fourteen

Tuesday 4/16
Activity: 1] ]
Work Perfect Copy. 2] Discuss returned assignments. 3] Discuss how to pass the exit exam essay: "
The Least You Need to Know"

Homework assignment:
RE-do the sentence patterns exercise identifying and copying these sentence patterns from your multitasking essay (a 3-point assignment). Due at the start of class Thursday. Use verbatim quotes in place of dialog for the sentences requiring quotation marks.
Final edit of multitasking essay. Turn it in to be graded on Thursday.

Resources for completing the assignments above and brushing up on "The Least You Need to Know":

Thursday 4/18
Activity: 1] Turn in
sentence patterns assignment and multitasking essays. 2] Draft the in-class essays. Quietly today, please. We will finish them in class on Tuesday.

Homework assignment:
Prepare your news story about yourself and the Hughes or Orwell essay for your portfolios by close, careful editing. My marks on your assignments that were returned this week tell you specificially which editing errors you need to learn and fix in your papers.

Week Fifteen

Tuesday 4/23
Activity: Finish
your in-class final essay. Turn it in at 10:20 today. You may work on it in the classroom if you do not talk. If you must talk, go elsewhere and return with the final printed out at 10:20, two copies.

Thursday 4/25
Activity: 1] Edit
your returned muiltitasking essay. Then 2] peer review the final essay using the
peer review comments sheet and the Editing Checklist (scroll to the bottom for the actual checklist) from the Guide to Grammar and Writing.

Homework assignment:
Prepare your portfolios for final evaluation. Your portfolios will include the last marked draft of your papers (with my grades and suggestions on them) and the final copy of the papers listed below. If you don't have both, your portfolio cannot earn the total points possible (6). The papers include the following:

Note: If you wish to turn in your final portfolio today for me to grade, you may do so and not come to the final class. However, if you want more time to revise and edit the final drafts of your papers, you may bring the portfolio to me in the classroom on Tuesday, 4/30/13 from 8-10:20, or you may finish it at that time in the classroom. No portfolios will be accepted after 10:20 on the day of the final, April, 30th.
Note 2.0: If you have any questions about your final edits or want my feedback, on Monday you may join my other 111/ENF3 class in Hampton 3, room 732. They will be doing final edits of their essays, same as y'all are doing on the last day of class.

Finals Week

Monday 4/29
YES! That says "Monday."
Optionally, you may come to my classroom, 732 in Hampton 3 building, between 10:30 and 12:50 to finish up. I will be there with my other 111/ENF3 class, and we will be doing final edits. Join us if you want to.

Tuesday 4/30
Activity: Finish
your portfolio revisions and edits for final evaluation. Turn it in on or before10:20 a.m. today.

Return to Mr. D's Index page