R. Dollieslager's English 111-41W,
Wednesdays, 7:00-9:45, room 233
Weekly Schedule Spring 2015
Thomas Nelson Community College

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Gator and Rick

George Orwell: "The future is up to YOU."

Office Hours in room 916: M & W 9:30-10 a.m.; T & Th 12:30.-2 p.m.
HT Campus in room 233: W 6 p.m.-7 p.m.
In my office, room 874: M & W 12:30-2 p.m. T & Th 6 p.m.-7:00

Email me at dollier@tncc.edu

Page last Updated: 29 April 2015, 9:10 p.m.

Class Video Resources
Class Internet Resources
Fall Class Schedule

Plagiarism and citing videos:

1. Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  2. What do I need to cite? (1 min.)
  3. Plagiarism: You can't just change a few words! (1 min.)
  4. Quoting and paraphrasing (3 min.)
  5. Citing without quoting (3 min.)
  6. Citing websites (2 min.)
  7. Punctuating in-text citations (3 min)

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Week 1
Aug. 21

Week 2
Aug.26 & 28
Week 3
Sep. 2 & 4
Week 4
Sep. 9 & 11
Week 5
Sep. 16 & 18
Week 6
Sep. 23 & 25
Week 7
Sep. 30 & Oct. 2
Week 8
Oct. 7 & 9
Week 9
Oct. 14 &16
Week 10
Oct. 21 & 23
Week 11
Oct. 28-30 (Priority Registration begins)
Week 12
Nov. 4 & 6
Week 13
Nov. 11 & 13
Week 14
Nov. 18 & 20
Week 15
Nov. 25
Week 16
Dec. 2 & 4
Final Class:

Researched Essay Topics:

Grading Criteria for all Essays and projects, and the course syllabus

Week One

Wednesday, 1/14 1] Getting started: Introductions, "house-keeping," the sylland success behaviors. 2] The college student's most common question: "Why are we learning this? How I am ever gonna use this?" Let's answer that question about communication courses with some reseaarch of our own: Comunicating as a Professional.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 1/21:
Finish all four phases of research question #1 (which we began in class). You will have a well developed paragraph which paraphrases three or four of Adams' best aguments for using appropriate grammar in the workplace and then paraphrases the three or four best arguments Weins makes for good grammar in the work place. Give Adams' reasons first and cite her with a parenthetical citation, then give Weins' reasons and cite his article parenthetically. At the end, include works cited entries for both sources. Folks, use the resources in the box at the top of the lesson page for models of how to cite parenthetically and for discussion of how to paraphrase. It's pretty easy stuff.

Week Two

Wednesday, 1/21 1] Plagiarism and citing tutorials. 2] Son of Citation Machine, citation generator: let's get the citation and the works cited sections correct for paragraph #1 3] Begin Phase Two (Reading Question 2) of Communicating as a Professional

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 1/28:

Week Three

Wednesday, 1/28 1] Peer review the paragraph assigned for today. 2] Discuss how to begin "phase 3."

Homework assignments for Wednesday, 2/4:

Week Four

Wednesday, 2/4 No class tonight--transportation breakdown occurred. My apologies.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 2/11:

Week Five

Wednesday, 2/11 1] Discuss five-paragraph essays, thesis statements, clear topic sentence 2] Activity: Reconstructing Bertrand Russell (Post-activity focus question: what are Russell's transitioin methods or devices?) 3] Complete "Comunicating as a Professional" using the grading rubric as your guide, and submit it to be graded. 4] Run it through PaperRater

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 2/18:

Week Six

Wednesday, 2/18 No class, thanks to Winter Storm Octavia

Week Seven

Wednesday, 2/25 No class, snowed out again!

Week Nine

Wednesday, 3/18 1] 7:00-8:14, writing summaries: Phase one, the myth of multitasking

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 3/25:

Week Ten

Wednesday, 3/25 1] Submit the grammar crossword and "The Least You Need to Know" activities. 2] Begin errors analysis and revisions of "Prof. Comm." essays. 3] Document and peer review the multitasking/time management paragraphs.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/1:

Week Eleven

Wednesday, 4/1 1] Brush up and peer review the multitasking and time management essay. 2] Preview George Orwell and Langston Hughes to prepare for writing the "purely academic" researched essay. 3] Begin the readings worksheet on "Shooting and Elephant" and "Salvation" (These will be submitted for a grade next week, 4 points possible, so follow all the instructions.)

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/8:

Week Twelve

Wednesday, 4/8 1] Discuss the essays by Hughes and Orwell, focusing on what these essays show about these two very influential writers. 2] Begin writing summaries of each of the two narrative essays.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/15:

Week Thirteen

Wednesday, 4/15 1] Discuss the summaries. 2] Discuss how those stories represent defining moments in the lives of these two influential writers. 3] Begin our Wix.com webfolios. The fun begins! 2.1] When you register, you will want to use your personal email address since this will be your personal site, and you may want to keep developing it past the time that you are a TNCC student. 2.2] There are issues with Wix interfacing with the I. E. browser, so please use Mozilla or Chrome. 2.3] Check out these smashing examples that were created by some of my Fall 2014 Eng 111 students using Wix.com

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/22:

Week Fourteen

Wednesday, 4/22 1] Discuss the final essay project, research and begin drafting

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 4/29:

Week Fifteen

Wednesday, 4/29 Self-evaluate/peer review the final essay, finish editing it, and submit by the end of class tonight

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 5/6:

Prepare your webfolio for completion. I will evaluate it at 8:30 next Wednesday. For the final, you will revise/edit/post the final essay in your webfolio, which will be worth 10 points

Webfolios will include the following:

Week Sixteen

Wednesday, 5/6 1] Send me your Wix.com URL from your college email to my shortcut address: dollier@tncc.edu so that I can add them to the webfolios index. 2] Revise/edit the returned final essay and post it to your webfolio, 7-8:15 p.m. 3] Webfolio evaluation conferences, 8:30-9:30.

Webfolios of recent English 111 students' work:
Google webfolios help

Return to Mr. D's Index page