R. Dollieslager's English 111-03H,
Mon. & Weds. 9:30-10:45
Weekly Schedule Fall 2015
Thomas Nelson Community College

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Gator and Rick

The wisdom of Yoda: Lesson #1, "There is no 'try' . . ."

Office Hours in room 916: M & W 9-9:30; T & Th 9-10:00 & 11:40.-12:30.; W 10:45-12:30
In my office, room 874:
M 12:15-2:00; & W 12:30-1:30
Online office hour:
W 7:00-8:00
Email me at
dollier@tncc.edu

Page last Updated: 7 December 2015, 9:20 a.m.

Class Video Resources
Class Internet Resources
Fall Class Schedule

Plagiarism and citing videos:

1. Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  2. What do I need to cite? (1 min.)
  3. Plagiarism: You can't just change a few words! (1 min.)
  4. Quoting and paraphrasing (3 min.)
  5. Citing without quoting (3 min.)
  6. Citing websites (2 min.)
  7. Punctuating in-text citations (3 min)

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Week 1

Final Class: 8:00-10:30 a.m., Weds. 12/9/15

Researched Essay Topics and Other Projects:

Grading Criteria for all Essays and projects, and the course syllabus

Week One-half

Wednesday, 8/19 Getting started: Introductions, "house-keeping," and critical thinking journal assignment.

Week Two

Monday, 8/24 1] Turn in critical thinking journal entry. 2] View and anaylze the advice of these two professors on how to email your professors: Prof. Richardson's advice. Professor DeCoster's advice. Take notes from the videos outlining appropriate and inappropriate ways to communicate with your professors via email, the "do's and the don't's" of emailing.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 8/26:

Wednesday, 8/26 1] Turn in the syllabus quiz. 2] Take the DRP (Degrees of Reading Powere test) 3] Begin your homework for next Monday: A reading literacy narrative (2 points) and critical thinking journal #2 (2 points)

Homework assignment for Monday, 8/31:

Week Three

Monday, 8/31 1] Discuss syllabus and revise it per discussion. Distribute NQAs. 2] Create class email ettiquette and protocols poster using Google presentations.

Homework assignment for Monday, 8/31:

Wednesday, 9/2 1] Discuss Late paper case study (move to different groups). 2] Discuss and describe C/V behaviors

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 9/9/14--AFTER revisiting and completing more thoroughly the homework assigned above for today, do the following for NEXT Wednesday:

All of the below is due at the start of class on 9/9/15

Week Four

Wednesday, 9/9 1] Share (volunteer) summary paragraphs of Mirmans article and discuss summarizing. 2] Add documentation to the summary using Citation Machine or EasyBib or the citation generator built into M.S. Word. 3] Peer review summaries, and Victim and Creator paragraphs per the evaluation rubric.

Homework assignment for Monday, 9/14:

Week Five

Monday, 9/14 1] Discuss HOW you will achieve your goals for this semester--what specific things you will do, what specific resources you will use, to attain the goals you set for each class. 2] Revise the concluding paragraph per our discussion: It must SHOW how you will create your desired outcomes, i.e., it will be a specific plan, not generalizations and platitudes. For instance where, when, and how (by that I mean what resources will you use) will you study? How will you schedule study time around other commitments? How will you keep yourself engaged in the subject matter for each class during class and outside of class? (Again, use the Study Guides website as well as the JMU Learning Toolbox for study strategies and note-taking and test-taking techniques for specific courses in various academic disciplines. And BE SPECIFIC!!)

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 9/16:

No Mas!! Folks, this is now week five of the semester, and you have been in college for at least a month, so we implement college conventions hereafter, including: 1] No more work will be submitted or accepted for grading if it is not typed and formatted correctly following MLA expectations, except when I grade your notes from readings or lectures, which can/should be hand written. 2] No more late work will be accepted for any reason without the NQA coupon. We know how Creators think and work now, and we will adopt the Creator mindset.

Wednesday, 9/16 1] Print and peer review the Creator's mindset essay. 2] Turn it in with the draft and the peer reviewer's sheet after peer review, final edits and revisions are made. Due at the end of class, unless you stay here for my 10:45-12:15 office hours, in which case it is due at 12:15.

Homework assignment for Monday, 9/21:

Week Six

Monday, 9/21 1] Turn in critical thinking journal #3 with the scores from your on-line lessons penciled in on the back, by lesson name 2] Discuss similarties between the academic reading and writing processes. 3] Begin the researched essay on communicating as a professional in your field of study by previewing the first two readings.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 9/16:

Wednesday, 9/23 1] AFTER re-reading my exhortation from last week about formatting and due diligence in college, turn in Phase One of the project on communicating as a professional. 2] Discuss and begin Phase Two, and discuss how to complete the entire essay

Week Seven

Monday, 9/28 1] No f-2-f class today

Wednesday, 9/30 1] Peer review and then begin to revise and edit the Part Two paragraphs, which extrapolate from the O. O. H. information about the communication skills necessary to enter and succeed in your future profession. 2] Discuss Part Three of "Communicating as a Professional"--a specific plan for how you will build the encessary skills to enter and succeed in your profession, skills such as good grammar, editing/punctuation, critical reading, critical thinking, speaking, listening

Homework assignment for Monday, 10/5:

Week Eight

Monday, 10/5 Preparing for the Errors Analysis project: Today we become closely familiar with the Norton Field Guide to Writing's handbook section, the Guide to Grammar and Writing, and the Purdue University OWL by working the punctuation and sentence patterns exercise.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 10/7:

Wednesday, 10/7 1] Revising the "Phase One" paragraphs for the professional communication essay. 2] Discuss completion of the essay, "Homework assignment for Wednesday, 10/7:" per the lesson page and grading rubric.

Homework assignment for Monday, 10/12:

Week Nine

Monday, 10/12 Mid-term exam: Discuss and then begin revising and editing the (three) Critical Thinking Journals written so far.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 10/14:

Wednesday, 10/14

Homework assignment for Monday, 10/19:

Week Ten

Monday, 10/19 1] Submit "mid-term exam" material: 2] Discuss and then begin the Errors Analysis project for the Creator Mindset essay.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 10/21:

Wednesday, 10/21 1] Submit the Errors Analysis document along with the marked draft, the final draft and the grading rubric which I marked and returned to you with the paper. 2] Group activity #1: Punctuating "Landscape with the Fall of Icarus" 3] Group activity #2: Follow the instructions for editing this Dear John letter, adding the pertinent punctuation to make it into complete, comprehensible sentences.

Week Eleven

Monday, 10/26 1] Planning for registration. 2] Discuss Critical Thinking Journal #4

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 10/28:

Wednesday, 10/28 1] Check planning for registration notes 2] Group activity: Follow the instructions for editing this Dear John letter, adding the pertinent punctuation to make it into complete, comprehensible sentences.3] How important is punctuation? One comma is worth $2 million! 4] Critical Thinking Journal #4 prep. discussion: American philosopher Richard Taylor wrote, “All men are fatalists as they look back on things." Write about 250-300 words for your critical thinking journal in which you, (1) define what Taylor meant by fatalism (or fatalists) and (2) in just a few sentences paraphrased from your source, describe who he is and what the quote reflects about his own life and philosophy, (3) explain what the quote means, and (4) give a specific and concrete example of this truth from your own experience or your own observation. (5) Include a correctly formatted, MLA-style works cited entry from the source. (2 points)

Homework assignment for Monday, 11/2:

Critical Thinking Journal #4: Note: I have posted an interview with Taylor in BlackBoard. Read it before writing Critical Thinkink Journal #4. American philosopher Richard Taylor wrote, “All men are fatalists as they look back on things." Write about 250-300 words for your critical thinking journal in which you, (1) define what Taylor meant by fatalism (or fatalists) and (2) in just a few sentences paraphrased from your source, describe who he is and what thequote reflects about his own life and philosophy, (3) explain what the quote means, and (4) give a specific and concrete example of this truth from your own experience or your own observation. (5) Include a correctly formatted, MLA-style works cited entry from the source. (2 points)

Week Twelve

Monday, 11/2 Wix.com workshop: Begin building the welcome page for your webfolio using this free web site builder and host.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 11/4:

Wednesday, 11/4 1] Access your TNCC/VCCS email and select the link I sent you to a Google document. Follow the instructions in the email for inputting your name and the URL for your Wix home page. 2] Finish and submit the annotated bibliographies and the summaries of the multitasking article by Sarah Sparks. Post your Critical Thinking Journal #4 to Black Board.

Homework assignment for Monday, 11/9:

Week Thirteen

Monday, 11/9 Research and compose Critical Thinking Journal #5, Henry Ford. Post it to BlackBoard Journals by Friday, 11/13

Wednesday, 11/11 1] Submit Errors Analysis if you have not already done so. 2] Note-taking workshop: Discuss and take notes on the Sparks article; discuss our own experiences as "multitaskers" in the context of Sparks' research. 3] Begin revising the Sparks summary; begin drafting personal experiences paragraphs about "multitasking."

Homework assignment for Friday, 11/13: Post Critical Thinking Journal #5 to Black Board Journals

Homework assignment for Monday, 11/16: Two paragraphs: Revise (and correctly document) the Sparks article, including one or two direct quotes. Transition into a follow-up paragraph discussing a specific time or incident when you "multitasked," explained in the context of the research from Sparks' article. Conclude the paragraph with a brief discussion of Davidson's premise (at the end of Sparks' article)

Webfolios will contain the following pages and assignments:

A home page which will include

• An index of your posted projects (listed below).
  • An image of you or one which you feel represents you in some way.
  • Links to the TNCC website and your class web page.
  • An active email link to your college email address so that we can all contact each other and provide feedback to each other during the development process.
  • An introduction that tells the purpose of your web site and tell a little bit about you.

English 111 projects, revised, edited, polished, final versions

• Reading literacy narrative
  • "Creators Mindset" essay
  • "Communicating as a Professional" essay
  • Multitasking paragraphs
  • Critical Thinking Journals 1-5, revised per the mid-term instructions

Additional, optional material (not required, but will be weighted in the grade):

• Anything else that you want to share with the world in your academic webfolio or on the home page, as long as it is appropriate for this purpose; i.e., links to your artwork, links to your job page(s), links to the college you plan to transfer to, photos of your family, links to professional journals in your field of study or to professional association websites, your resume, links to your hobby or avocation web sites, etc. No Dallas Cowboys! ;-)

Samples: Webfolios index, Spring 2015

Webfolios index, Fall 2015

--Week Fourteen--

Monday, 11/16 Peer review of multitasking paragraphs

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 11/18:

Wednesday, 11/18 Webfolio workshop. In your webfolio teams today, here is what you will do in order to earn credit (2 points): 1] Home page: Everyone in your team has a home page with at least one image of themselves or an image that represents them in some way. It has a brief introduction and states the purpose of this site. 2] Links to: Creators mindset essays and multitasking paragraphs are posted and the index links to them; TNCC website; English 111 web page. 3] Editing: Each member of the team has read and proof-read the two posted documents and given each other feedback on typos, punctuation and grammar errors, and these corrections have been made.

Homework assignment for Monday, 11/23-Sunday 11/29:

I. Be Thankful! Here are a couple things to be thankful for:

1. You have no additional assignment from this class for the next week (though I encourage you to work on webfolio development so that everything is not rushed in the last two weeks).
  2. We will have no face-to-face class on Monday 11/23. (However, I will be on-line at that time to reply to email.)

Homework assignment for Thursday, 11/26:

II. At your Thanksgiving meal, ask your assemblage to give a moment of silence to meditate about and honor the memories of your contemporaries in Paris, who were massacred this week for no other offence than to have attended a concert. I am sorry that you have grown up in a world so punctuated by hateful and cowardly actions such as that. Vow to make a difference in your life time.

--Week Fifteen--

Monday, 11/30 1] Discuss webfolios from prior semesters. 2] Discuss final revisions to critical thinking journals

Wednesday, 12/2 Discussion and workshop--webfolio evaluation criteria, multitasking paragraphs evaluation criteria, and final revisions to critical thinking jounals

--Week Sixteen--

Monday, 12/7 1] DRP (Degrees of Reading Power) post-semester test. 2] Check your grades this afternoon. By five o'clock, I will have all of your grades for the semester posted in the Black Board gradebook, aside from the webfolio (10 points) and the multitasking summary (6 points, which I will grade "raw" in the webfolio). Check your grades on Blackboard and bring with you on Wednesday everything that I have graded and returned this semester in order to verify the accuracy of the marks I have recorded for you.

Finals Week begins on Wednesday, 12/9!

See the Finals Calendar because starting or ending times are different for all classes during Finals Week.

Wednesday, 12/9, 8 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Final Class! Discussion and workshop--webfolio evaluation criteria, multitasking paragraphs evaluation criteria, and final revisions to critical thinking jounals

Webfolios index, Fall 2015 English 111 classes

Check out previous Eng. 111 students' great Google webfolios and the even better, more recent Wix.com built webfolios

Return to Mr. D's Index page

createiv commons placateCreative commons non-commercial placate
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.