TNCC English 109 Spring 2008, Tues.-Thurs.

Eng. 109 class
Metaphor as an analytic tool: "I did the puzzle as I do my life."

Last Updated, 22 April 2008, 10:45 a.m.

Class Resources

English 109 syllabus (including graded assignments and grading criteria.)

A success web site developed by the COL students in Fall 2006: Becoming a Master Learner

Webster's Dictionary Online & YourDictionary.Com

I use the On Course Student Success index as a resource for teaching and supplementing this class.

The "On Course Principles" are excellent guidelines for keeping yourself on course to academic success and to success in life!

Advice and guidelines for analytical reading of texts: SQ3R

While designed for working professionals, the Mind Tools web site has many useful self-help links, including techniques for memorizing.

Contact Mr. D. by email (dollier@tncc.edu), by phone (825-3543), or in person (room 874, first floor of Templin Hall)

Week One

Tuesday, 1/08
In class: 1] Foundations, introductions, getting started; 2] Do: On Course
pre-semester self-assessment.

Homework for Thursday, 1/10: 1] Bring to class two folders for use in English 109. 2] Write (a.) a list of the expectations you have of your colleagues in order to have a successful course experience in Eng. 109, (b.) a list of expectations I should have of you in a successful Eng. 109 experience, and (c.) a list of expectations you have set for yourself in order to achieve a successful Eng. 109 experience.

Thursday, 1/10

In class: 1] RE-introductions and information gathering (note cards), 2] A letter to myself, 3] Cooperative Learning Activity: "Wordles and New Equations"

Homework for Tuesday, 1/15: 1] Read "Preface" (pages xii-xix) and Chapter 1, "Getting On Course to Your Success" (pages 1-21). Do not write the journal entries (1 & 2), however, because we will do those in class. 2] Do the self-assessment for journal entry #1. 3] Do the Wordles and New Equations exercise. Be resourceful!!

Week Two

Mr. D's Chapter II summary: The paths our lives take are not predetermined or written in some cosmic scriptbook that can't be known to us. Rather, we create our lives by the choices we make and the attitudes we hold to. Creator or Victim choices are not "good" or "bad" per se. They direct the processes by which we arrive at the outcomes and experiences we wish to create in our lives, so make the appropriate choices to make the things happen which you desire as outcomes. Whether we want them to or not, the choices we make (and even passively deciding to do nothing is a choice we make) create our lives.

Tuesday, 1/15
DUE: 1] Wordles & New Equations project, 2] A Letter to Myself
In class: 1] Quiz: Who are my COL colleagues? 2] Discuss journaling and 3] Write journal entry 1 and 2 in class.

Homework for Thursday, 1/17:
Read pages 22-38, "Adopting the Creator Role" and "Making Wise Decisions"
Write journal entries 3, 4, and 5.

Homework for Tuesday, 1/22:
Read pages 38-47, "Personal Responsibility at Work"
Write journal entry 6.

Week Three

Tuesday, 1/22
In class: 1] Exercise and discussion related to changing Victim language to Creator language. 2] Do an activity related to Victim and Creator language.

Homework for Thursday, 1/24:
Take-home quiz: Analyze the lyrics of 10 of the remaining 14 songs on the handout in order to 1) explain, in a couple sentences, why you feel they are Victim messages or Creator messages and what the outcomes of the attitudes or behaviors will be, and, 2) suggest what the "Victims" should do differently to change their behaviors to achieve Creator's outcomes.
Read pages 45-52
Due: Turn in journals to be graded, entries 1-6.

Thursday, 1/24
In class: 1] Discussion song lyrics assignment related to changing Victim to Creator language. 2] Begin researching lyrics of music you listen to in order to analyze the messages.

Homework for Tuesday, 1/29:
Take-home quiz:
Find on line, or from a CD cover that you have, lyrics of six songs that you know. Find three that convey Creator messages and three that convey Victim messages. Copy and paste the lyrics into a MS Word document, or type them from your CD cover, or just print out the lyrics page so that you can write your take-home quiz on the bottom. Analyze the lyrics you have selected in order to 1) explain, in a few sentences, why you feel they are Victim messages or Creator messages and what the outcomes of the attitudes or behaviors will be, and, 2) suggest what the "Victims" should do differently to change their behaviors to achieve Creator's outcomes.
Read: pages 53-72
Write: Journal entries 7, 8, and 9

Week Four

Mr. D’s Chapter III Summary: Creating our satisfying futures or completing specific yet very important goals begins with imagination, projection and mental imaging so that visualization of the desired results becomes the means of developing a commitment to their achievement.  Our futures or the realization of major objectives in our lives come about by actions we take and by our own design, not by chance.  The motivation to accomplish our greatest goals and to become the person we want to be comes from within in us rather than extrinsically, and we can shape the motivation into reality, becoming who and what we, first, just dreamed of.

Tuesday, 1/29

Hey, would you like
$100?

Week Five

Mr. D’s Chapter IV Summary: Self-management, time-management, life-management happen because of planning by people who are, or who want to be, successful at whatever they do.  There are numerous self-management tools, or heuristics, that are helpful in prioritizing goals, managing time successfully to achieve the goals that take priority, and developing habits that lead to achievement of important goals.

Tuesday, 2/5
In class: 1] Create a profile of a successful student. 2] Write a reflection on yourself as the quintessential successful student

Homework for Thursday, 2/7:
Read pages 73-80
Write journal entry #10
Turn in journals. I will evaluate entries 7-10

Thursday, 2/7
In class: Revisiting and revising the personal affirmations (journal entry #10)

Homework for Tuesday, 2/12:
Read pages 80-97
Write journal entries 11 and 12

Week Six

Tuesday, 2/12
In class: View "
The Secret"

Thursday, 2/14
In class: 1] Finish viewing "The Secret" 2] Write a reflection on the film and send it to me via email.

Homework for Tuesday, 2/19:
Read pages 101-119
Write journal entries 13 and 14

Week Seven

Tuesday, 2/19
In class: Visualizing and publicizing our successful lives (Geocities workshop)

Homework for Thursday, 2/22
Due: Journal entries 11-14, to be graded

Thursday, 2/21
Due: Journal entries 11-14, to be graded
In class: 1] Discuss Chapter IV 2] Web site workshop

Homework for Tuesday, 2/26
Read pages 120-135
Write Journal entries 15-17
Write a paragraph about why it is important to be on time to class, to work, to practice, to appointments, to . . .
Write: Refer to the notes you wrote in class on 2/5 when we created a profile of a successful student and also
use this link to my notes from that class. You will do the brief writing assignment I describe below and you will send it to me in email before Monday. It is very important that I have this information from you by Monday morning 8 a.m., at the latest, because I want to use it in a gift that I am going to give to you in class on Tuesday.
From the adjectives in the first column of my notes, and from your own notes, finish the following sentence stem by selecting the adjectives that best describe why you are a successful student:

From the behaviors in the second column, and from your own notes, write a brief paragraph which includes and discusses the actions and behaviors that you practice in order to ensure your success. Start the paragrpah with the following sentence stem (but write a paragraph, not just a sentence):

Week Eight

Mr. D’s Chapter V Summary: Interdependence refers to the degree to which people cooperate in order to achieve mutually beneficial results by “developing mutually supportive relationships, helping both others and themselves reach their goals and dreams” (Downing, 122). Interdependence is developed by working together to accomplish specific objectives, is strengthened by active listening and honest communication. In an interdependent system, everyone contributes to agreed upon processes or objectives and everyone benefits

Tuesday, 2/26
In class: 1] Mid-Term self assessment: How are you doing? What do you need to do better? How am I doing? What do I need to do better? We will talk and write about our semester so far and make course corrections where needed. (That goes for me, too. Mr. D.)

Homework for Thursday, 2/28
Read pages 135-146
Write Journal entry 18

Thursday 2/28
In class: 1] Practicing our affirmations ("Yes, you are!") 2] Geocities workshop

Homework for Tuesday, 3/11
Read pages 147-163
Write Journal entries 19-21

Spring Break Week March 1-9

lakr atitlan

Here is where I was over Spring Break: Lake Atitlan, Guatemala

Week Nine

Mr. D’s Chapter VI Summary: Self-awareness refers to having conscious knowledge of the things that motivate us and of the inner workings of the self that result in emotional reponses to outside stimulus.  Memories are embedded almost from birth in our consious and our sub-conscious mind. In the sub-conscious they may not be fully known to us because our “Scripts” were written early in life and, in many cases, in ways that we are not aware of.  If we are aware of our Scripts and how they operate in us, we can manage them and change them so that our sub-conscious responses reflect our conscious, responsible decision making and our desired behaviours result.

Tuesday, 3/11
In class: Metaphor as analysis: 1] In-class quiz grade--write a reflection with this title: "I did the puzzle as I do my life." 2]
The Goose Story

Homework for Thursday, 3/13
Read pages 164-175
Write Journal entry 22
Write "The Goose Story" reflection and turn in at the start of class for a quiz grade.

Thursday, 3/13
In class: Understanding metaphor as an analytic tool: 1] view "Darmok and Jelad at Tenagra" 2] Discuss film and practice forced analogies. 3] Discuss our writing processes.

Due: Journals through entry 22, & "The Goose Story" reflection

Homework for Tuesday, 3/18
Write a freewrite or an outline of your own writing process, due at the start of class on Tuesday, 3/18

Week Ten

Tuesday, 3/18
In class: Begin writing an
extended metaphor essay, comparing your writing process to another activity you do which you know well how to do. Start by writing a concrete description of your writing process following these considerations.

On-line writing resource: Writing essay introductions and conclusions (from the Guide to Grammar and Writing)

Homework for Thursday, 3/20
Write finish drafting the extended metaphor essay

Thursday, 3/20
In class: Discuss and edit the extended metaphor essay

Homework for Tuesday, 3/25
Read pages 176-193
Write Journal entries 23 & 24

Week Eleven

Tuesday, 3/25
In class: Discuss revisions to extended metaphor essays, begin revision

Homework for Thursday, 3/27
Read pages 194-209
Write Journal entries 25 & 26 (journals through 26 will be collected for grading on Thursday)
Write the final draft of the extended metaphor essay (due at the start of class Thursday)

Thursday, 3/27
Due no later than 4:00 today: 1] Extended metaphor essay, final draft. 2] Journals through entry #26
Note: Your essay and journals are on-time if they recah me by 4 p.m. today. For EVERY day they are late, the grade will be reduced by 10%.
In class: Discuss/do activities related to adopting lifelong learning: Analyzing on-line resources for academic viability.
1] Guidelines from technology research librarian
Esther Grassian (UCLA)
2] Small group exercise on analyzing Internet sources. (This will be fun. No kidding!)

Homework for Tuesday, 4/1
There will be a quiz on Annotated Bibliographies
Read pages 210-224
Write Journal entries 27 & 28

Week Twelve

Tuesday, 4/1
In class: 1] Quiz on pages 210-224 2] Quiz on the
Annotated Bibliographies reading. 3] Finish discussion of web site evalution criteria. 4] Begin annotated WEBliography of personal success resources.

Homework for Thursday, 4/3
Read pages 225-241
Write Journal entries 29 & 30

Thursday, 4/3
In class: Work on Annotated webliography projects

Homework for Tuesday, 4/8
Write/finish Annotated webliographies of success resources

Week Thirteen

Tuesday, 4/8
In class: Revise, edit, perfect annotated webliographies of success resources. Send them to Mr. D as an email attachment in MS Word 2003 format.

Due today via email attachment: Email these to me as MS Word 2003 attachments

Thusday, 4/10
In class: Go to the Academic Computing Lab and do journal #31, the
post-semester self assessment

Homework for Tuesday, 4/15
DUE at the start of class: Journals completed through #31

Week Fourteen

Tuesday, 4/15
In class: Geocities workshop: Save in correct formats and upload a] extended metaphor essays, b] webliographies, c] "My Rules for Success in College and in Life"

Turn in journals, completed through entry #31, at the start of class.

Thursday, 4/17

In class: Geocities workshop. Your Webfolio (website) will include (at least) the following:

1. Your home page (called "index.html") with images of the successful life you are creating for yourself, and links to your three individual webpage projects and links to TNCC and to the English 109 class page.
  2. Your metaphor essay, which is linked back to your index/homepage
  3. Your webliography of success resources, which also links back to your homapage
  4. Your "My Rules for Success in College and in Life" page, also linked back to the homepage.

Week Fifteen

Tuesday, 4/22
In class: Geocities workshop. Your Webfolio (website) will include (at least) the following:

1. Your home page (called "index.html") with images of the successful life you are creating for yourself, and links to your three individual webpage projects and links to TNCC and to the English 109 class page.
  2. Your metaphor essay, which is linked back to your index/homepage
  3. Your webliography of success resources, which also links back to your homapage
  4. Your "My Rules for Success in College and in Life" page, also linked back to the homepage.

Thursday, 4/24
DUE at end of class, the Webfolio project. The content is listed above. I will grade these before our Final class, so whatever you have in your website today is what you will be graded on. I will grade them for [1] the English skills (grammar, spelling and punctuation), for [2] corrections that have been made after I marked and graded the projects in paper format, for [3] completeness of the projects, for [4] design/layout of the pages (if they are sloppy, your grade will reflect that sloppiness).

Finals: Week Sixteen

Thursday, 5/1 9:00 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.

Fini! We will review each other's webfolios, I will meet with you individually to give you a grade breakdown for the whole semester, and we will socialize and celebrate the end of the semester!

Class web page for Eng 109, Spring 2006

Return to Mr. D.'s main page