English 109 Fall 2008, Mon.-Weds.-Fri. 9:00, TNCC

The Secret Genie

You gotta believe.

Last Updated, 8 December 2008, 9:20 a.m.

Week Ten

Monday, 10/20

Review sentence patterns exercises

Homework for Wednsday, 10/21:
Read: Pages 147-163
Take notes on these pages, Cornell style, which you may use for the quiz next Tuesday
Write: Journal entries 19, 20, 21

Wednesday, 10/22
View video: The Secret

Friday, 10/24
In class: Finish the video

Homework for Monday, 10/27:
Read: Pages 164-174
Write: Journal entry 22
Due: 1] Journals 19-22 2] Respond to the two one-paragraph prompts that were passed out in class. (Or open it from the link and type directly onto the MS Word document.)
Bring portable electronic storage media (jump drive, flash drive, 3.5 inch disk). You will need to store the information you will search for on Monday.

Week Eleven

Monday, 10/27

First, we'll discuss the two paragraphs you wrote for your assignment (from the homework posted above on Friday 10/24). Then the fun begins: Envisioning and manifesting our futures.

Homework for Wednesday, 10/29:
Bring portable electronic storage media (jump drive, flash drive, 3.5 inch disk). You will need to store the information you will search for on Wednesday as we begin to collect information for your own annotated bibliography of success resources.

Week Twelve

Monday, 11/3

DUE: drafts of the annotated webliography. Format: "Page Title" is contained within quotation marks. Site Titles are boldfaced and italicized. In one or two complete, grammatically correct sentences, describe HOW this site or page is useful to you. Finish each entry by "copying and pasting" the URL. There are some samples of annotated webliographies on the Fall 2006 English 109 project page; however, these had somewhat different requirements, so they are not exact models.

Homework for Wednesday, 11/05:
Bring your annotated webliographies!!!

Wednesday, 11/5

In-class: Pair up to peer edit the annotations in your webliography.

Homework for Friday, 11/07:
Due at the beginning of class: Annotated webliographies, printed out, following the formatting instructions

Bring 1] your annotated webliographies in electonic format, 2] bring your images of your successful future, and 3] bring your Geocities login information

Friday, 11/7

Geocities workshop: 1] Saving the annotated webliographies in .html format, uploading them, making them into web pages. 2] Uploading your images of your successful future and posting them on your home page.

Week Thirteen

Monday, 11/10
Quiz: "Understanding Emotional Intelligence" & "Reducing Stress" (pages 210-225--you may use your notes, but not your book for the quiz)
Geocities workshop: 1] Saving your annotated webliographies in .html format and posting them to your website. 2] Posting the images of your successful future. 3] Posting "My Rules for Success" from journal entry 22.

Homework for Wednesday, 11/12:
Read about Howard Gardner's theory and research on multiple intelligences
Take an M.I. mini-inventory

Wednesday, 11/12
Preparing the bibliographies

Friday, 11/14
Correcting errors on annotated bibliographies

Homework for Monday, 11/17:
Finish editing aanotated bibliographies to prepare for Monday upload.

Week Fourteen

Monday, 11/17
Geocities workshop: 1] Saving your annotated webliographies in .html format and posting them to your website. 2] Posting the images of your successful future. 3] Posting "My Rules for Success" from journal entry 22.

Homework for Wednesday, 11/19:
Read pages 225-241 (the rest of Chapter 8)
Think: Which of Dr. Gardner's 8 intelligences correspond to Chapter 8's description of "emotional intelligence"?

Wednesday, 11/19
Case Study: After Math
Discuss emotional intelligence, creating "flow," and reducing stress in the final weeks of the semester. Howyagonnadoit?

Friday, 11/21
Geocities workshop: 1] Below is a link to my annotated webliography instructions and sample entries. Tell me what is wrong with this page, please: http://www.geocities.com/coachrick_ycll/Webliography_instructions2.html 2] Posting the images of your successful future. 3] Posting "My Rules for Success" from journal entry 22.

Here is my annotated webliograhy instructions and sample entries. Tell me what is wrong with this page, please: http://www.geocities.com/coachrick_ycll/Webliography_instructions2.html

Make sure you get a print out of your grades from me today!

Extra Credit opportunity (worth 10 points, not in addition to the 15 points I already made available, but as an alternative):
1] If you have not read the page about Multiple Intelligences, read this page before you do anything else. If you have not yet responded to the M.I. mini-inventory, do so after reading the M.I. page. On that M.I. inventory site, there are links just below the site title. After you have printed out the graph showing your results, click on the "What Are Multiple Intelligences?" link and review that information. 2] Look at your M.I. survey results. Write a brief paragraph for each Intelligence, showing that it is true of you, or discussing how or why you think it is not true of you. For example, my kinesthetic intelligence score was my highest, so here is what I wrote:

I have high scores in Kinsesthetic Intelligence. This is true to my experience as I have been very athletic all of my life. When I was a young child, I had older brothers who played sports, so I naturally began to play sports and developed very quickly at baseball, in particular, because I was learning from older, accomplished players with skills much greater than mine. I wrestled, as well, and became dominant at that sport in my weight classes, for the same reasons--my brothers were my mentors and they were much larger than me, so I developed quickly. In more recent times, I have coached fast-pitch softball for ten years and play the sport while coaching it. I learned to throw "fast-pitch" in my mid 40s. I also golf regularly and usually win, and I bicycle, go white water rafting, swim and sail whenever I get a chance. Mr. D.

Homework: The webfolio project requirements. Your Webfolio (website) will include (at least) the following:

1. Your home page (called "index.html") with images of the successful life you are creating for yourself, "My Rules for Success" from journal entry #22, links to two individual webpage projects*, and links to TNCC and to the English 109 class page.
  2. Your webliography of success resources, which also links back to your homapage
  3. At least one of your essays from English 01

Week Fifteen.one

Monday, 11/24
Extra credit (5 pts) Geocities workshop: Show up today, on time, to work on your web site and you will earn 5 points of EXTRA credit.

Week Fifteen.two

Monday, 12/1
Geocities workshop: Let's get all the images in place, the links working, the typos cleaned up.

Wednesday, 12/3
Gettin' 'er dun: Let's publish our webfolios and make an index to them so that we can all access each other's sites and share these great projects with family, friends, and future 109 students. I'll make the index page, but you have to submit your "teaser"--how are you going to get a visitor to our class site to go to YOUR pages? Mr. D.

Friday, 12/5
1] Finish your web folios* so that I can grade them. 2] Give me your URL during class. 3] Dictate (during class) or e-mail me your "teaser." I'll make an index page with links to everyone's webfolio, but you have to submit your "teaser"--in other words, how are you going to get a visitor to go to YOUR pages? I will be in our classroom from 9 am unitl 1 p.m. on Friday. If you want help finishing your webfolio project, join me at that time and get it done.

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

*Requirements for the webfolios. Include at least three web pages: 1) your home page, 2) your annotated webliography of success resources, 3) at least one of your essays from Eng. 01. If you include all of your Eng. 01 essays, I will give you credit for doing more than required when I grade the webfolios. The specifics for each web page follow.
Web page 1: Your home page includes the following information (at least):

Web page 2: Your annotated webliography of success resources. Make sure that it links back to your home page, that it is grammatically correct, and that the links to your resources sites all work.

Web page 3: Select your favorite or best essay from your Eng 01 portfolio and post it as a web page. Make sure that it links back to your home page. If you post all of your Eng 01 essays, I will give you more rcedit for the webfolio, but make sure that they are all well edited and that they link back to your home page.

Here Mr. D.'s sample Geocities site. I have made this site along with you as you have developed your webfolio project. My sample webfolio has all the elements I want to see in yours, so look at it as a model.

Homework for Monday, 12/8:
Email me your homepage URL and your "teaser"--in other words, entice visitors to our class page to click on the link to your webfolio. Here's how I might entice a reader to go to my essay with this teaser, kind of like an advertisement: "I bet you know someone like my former student Patrick, someone who is determined to succeed no matter what difficulties must be overcome."

Here's my email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Week Sixteen

Monday, 12/8
Let's finish the class project page

Friday 12/12 Final Class: 9:00-10:45
Celebrate Good Times: Let's share the best information you got from your resources lists. Tell us about good test-taking techniques, time management, memory improvement, recall for testing, whatever you think is the best information you found..

Semester has ended. Go forth and multiply!! (or whatever)

Return to Mr. D.'s main page