TNCC English 109 Fall 2007, M.W.F.

thanksgiving pets
It's over. We've survived the semester!! Now try to relax.

Last Updated, 7 December 2007, 1:30 p.m.

Jump to Week 1
Jump to Week 2
Jump to Week 3
Jump to Week 4
Jump to Week 5
Jump to Week 6
Jump to Week 7
Jump to Week 8
Jump to Week 9
Jump to Week 10
Jump to Week 11
Jump to Week 12
Jump to Week 13
Jump to Week 14
Jump to Week 15

Class Resources

English 109 syllabus (including graded assignments and grading criteria.)

A success web site developed by the COL students in Fall 2006: Becoming a Master Learner

Webster's Dictionary Online & YourDictionary.Com

I use the On Course Student Success index as a resource for teaching and supplementing this class.

The "On Course Principles" are excellent guidelines for keeping yourself on course to academic success and to success in life!

Advice and guidelines for analytical reading of texts: SQ3R

While designed for working professionals, the Mind Tools web site has many useful self-help links, including techniques for memorizing.

Contact Mr. D. by email (dollier@tncc.edu), by phone (825-3543), or in person (room 874, first floor of Templin Hall)

Week One

Monday, 8/20
In class: Foundations, housekeeping, getting started

Homework for Wednesday, 8/22:
Bring to class two folders for use in English 109 and one folder for each of your other classes.
Write (a.) a list of the expectations you have of your colleagues in order to have a successful course experience in Eng. 109, (b.) a list of expectations I should have of you in a successful Eng. 109 experience, and (c.) a list of expectations you have set for yourself in order to achieve a successful Eng. 109 experience.

Wednesday, 8/22

In class: 1] Quiz: Who are my COL colleagues? 2] Discuss expectations of students and expectations of instructor (to add to syllabus) 3] Do: On Course pre-semester self-assessment.

Homework for Monday, 8/27:
Read "Preface" (pages xi-xviii) and Chapter 1, "Getting On Course to Your Success" (pages 1-19). Do not write the journal entries (1 & 2), however, because we will do those in class.

Friday, 8/24

In class: Seek the Treasure. Knowledge and information are humanity's greatest treasures. We will seek these treasures throughout the semester. Friday, you will seek it together during class, without my interference (since I will be traveling).

Your in-class assignment is to, first, find the "treasure map" hidden in this classroom. Then collaborate to answer the questions (similar to the practice exercise we did together on Wednesday). You will submit the excercise to my mailbox in room 852 (1st floor of this building) at the end of class on Friday. If, collectively, your class scores below 50%, no one gets any quiz points. If collectively your class scores between 50% and 75% you'll get 5 quiz points. If y'all collectively score above 75%, each person will earn 10 quiz points.

Be resourceful!! For instance, would it be possible to find the answers to these questions on line? I'll give you this tidbit: several people who work in this building (Templin Hall) have answers to all of these questions. Seek the treasure wherever you may find it.

treasure

Homework for Monday, 8/27:
Read "Preface" (pages xi-xviii) and Chapter 1, "Getting On Course to Your Success" (pages 1-19). Do not write the journal entries (1 & 2), however, because we will do those in class.
Bring your lists of expectations with you to class to discuss and add to the syllabus.

Week Two

Mr. D's Chapter II summary: The paths our lives take are not predetermined or written in some cosmic scriptbook that can't be known to us. Rather, we create our lives by the choices we make and the attitudes we hold to. Creator or Victim choices are not "good" or "bad" per se. They direct the processes by which we arrive at the outcomes and experiences we wish to create in our lives, so make the appropriate choices to make the things happen which you desire as outcomes. Whether we want them to or not, the choices we make (and even passively deciding to do nothing is a choice we make) create our lives.

Monday, 8/27
In class: 1] Brainstorm expectations list for inclusion in syllabus. 2] Write journal entry #1

Homework for Wednesday, 8/29:
Read pages 20-23, "Learning College Customs"
Write journal entries 2 and 3

Wednesday, 8/29
In class: 1] Review journal entry 2 and revise journal entries as needed. 2] Advice and guidelines for analytical reading of texts: the
SQ3R and SQ4R methods.

Friday, 8/31
In class: Modeling the Cornell note-taking method, making lecture notes you actually can use to predict test questions. Here are links to two sites that describe how to use the Cornell note-taking method and that model the process. I even have some blank templates: One is a lined template, and one is unlined. You should always use unlined paper when taking notes in a math or physics class, or in any other situation in which you will be writing mathematical formulas, because the lines themselves can restrict how you take the notes or detract from how you read your notes back later. (Note: the Cornell templates appear to have lines when viewed normally on MS Word, but they will not print out that way. You can view them on "Print Preview" to see what they will look like.)

Homework for Wednesday, 9/5:
Read pages 24-39, "Adopting the Creator Role" and "Making Wise Decisions"
Write journal entries 3, 4, and 5.

Homework for Friday, 9/7:
Read pages 40-48, "Personal Responsibility at Work"
Write journal entry 6.
Write SQ4R notes on all of Chapter 2, including pages 46-48; this will be an important graded assignment (worth three quiz grades = 15 points).

Week Three

Monday, 9/3
Happy Labor Day!
Go have some fun (but make sure your homework for Tuesday and Wednesday classes is done first).

Homework for Wednesday, 9/5:
Read pages 24-39, "Adopting the Creator Role" and "Making Wise Decisions"
Write journal entries 3, 4, and 5.

Write journal entry 6.
Write SQ4R notes on all of Chapter 6, including pages 46-48; this will be an important graded assignment (worth three quiz grades = 15 points).

Wednesday, 9/5
In class: 1] Do a case study on making wise choices 2] Do an activity related to Victim and Creator language.

Write journal entry 6.
Write SQ4R notes on all of Chapter 6, including pages 46-48; this will be an important graded assignment (worth three quiz grades = 15 points).

Friday, 9/7
In class: Practicing Interdependency (Chap. V topic). By the end of class today, I want you to place your SQR notes of Chap. II in my mailbox in room 852 (1st floor of Templin Hall--this building).

Due at the end of your class: Chap. II SQR notes, placed in my mailbox in room 852. I will pick up your work later on Friday afternoon when I have returned from Lynchburg, and I really want you to get all 15 points for this project, so it has to be on time and well executed.

Homework for Monday, 9/10:
Research: Find on line, or from a CD cover that you have, lyrics of six songs that you know. Find at least three that convey Creator messages and at least one that conveys Victim messages. Copy and paste the lyrics into a MS Word document, or type them from your CD cover, or just print out the lyrics page so that you can write your take-home quiz on the bottom of the pages. The "quiz" is explained below.
Take-home quiz: Analyze the lyrics you have selected in order to 1) explain, in a few sentences, why you feel they are Victim messages or Creator messages and what the outcomes of the attitudes or behaviors will be, and, 2) suggest what the "Victims" should do differently to change their behaviors to achieve Creator's outcomes. Turn this in at the start of class on Monday 9/10. Do this project without collaborating much with your colleagues because I want us to have a lot of class kick-off music, and if everyone turns in the same 4 Creator-message songs, we will get sick of hearing those four tunes over and over and over. OR, you can listen to MY music the rest of the semester. ;-)

Week Four

dewitt jones Wednesday, 9/12
In class: View and discuss "Celebrate What's Right." Dewitt Jones video
In-class notes: Write six to ten direct quotes from the video.
puffball

Hey, would you like $100?

Homework for Friday, 9/14:
Read pages 49-57, "Discovering and Committing to Your Dreams"
Write Journal entry #7
Read the expectations I've compiled (from class discussion and email and paper submissions) for a successful semester; we'll discuss and tweak them. Be ready to tell me the 6 traits of successful people. You know what they are.

Bring electronic storage media with you to every class meeting hereafter (jump drive, 3.5" disk)

Friday, 9/14

"By celebrating what's right, we find the energy to fix what’s wrong." Dewitt Jones

In class: Start building a vision of your successful future with images of what it will look like. Save them to your disk or jump drive.

Week Five

Monday, 9/17
In Class: Form into Base Groups and we will begin making our personal Success Resources

You will get lots of good ideas from English 109 students who have done this for themselves. Check them out: Becoming a Master Learner

Homework for Wednesday, 9/19:
Write Journal entry #8
Read pages 58-62, "Discovering and Committing to Your Dreams"
Write Journal entry #9
Bring your walking shoes with you to class because you'll be doing some walking on Wednesday

Wednesday, 9/19
In class: On Friday you started building a vision of your successful future by finding some images that show what that futre will look like. On Monday you began building your personal success resources data base, which you will eventually make into a webpage that you can access quickly. It's all about finding resources. Today, you will have some fun finding some human resources around campus in the fashion of an information scavenger hunt.

In Class: Today you find some human resources on campus. Take the resources scavenger hunt document on the lower shelf by the door. Break into teams of your choosing and split up the work--that is decide which pairs or teams will go where to find the information needed. NO ONE DOES THIS ALONE. Find the location of each of the offices or services on campus on the scavenger hunt document, go there, fill in the information and have someone from that office write their name anywhere on the scavenger hunt sheet. Return to the classroom and see if you can fill in all the blanks. Put your name on yours and turn it in at my mailbox in room 852. NOT my office, my mailbox. Mr. D.

Friday, 9/21
In class: Review SQ3R note-taking

Homework for Monday, 9/24:
Read pages 77-81, "Acting on Purpose"
Write Journal entry #11
Bring Journal entry # 10 VERY IMPORTANT that you have J-10 with you

Homework for Friday, 9/28:
Take-home quiz (10 points): SQ3R notes on ALL of Chapter 4. This will make it easier. I have posted the quiz question from the instructors manual, and I want you to
1] print out the quizzes for Chapter for from this link.
2] Print out three or four pages of the lined template OR of the unlined template (your choice).
3] Turn the quiz questions into questions you can write in the left column (also called the "cues" column) of the note-taking templates. Leave space between them so that you have plenty of room to write your answers in the right, note-taking section of the paper.
4] In the note-taking section you will write two things from the book in answer to each question in the cues column: a] You will write the answers from the book, and b] under the answer, you will write how that "cue" was highlighted in the book as being important.
For example, your first question in the cue column will be "What are the two Quadrant I actions?" And in the answers in the note-taking section will be "Important and Urgent." Underneath the answer you will write. "In the book, QUADRANT I ACTIONS (Important and Urgent) was bold faced in the text."

Week Six

Monday, 9/24
In class: Use Journal Entry 10
to create and fine-tune your personal affirmations

Put photocopies of each of the self-management tools in your 109 notes folders. You will need them this week.

Homework for Wednesday, 9/26:
Read pages 81-93, "Self-Management Tools" & "Self-Discipline"
Write Journal entries 12 and 13

Wednesday, 9/26
In class: Using self-management tools and discussing a case study: The Procrastinators.

Friday, 9/28
In class: Finishing affirmations and practicing using them.

Homework for Monday, 9/30:
Read pages 93-108, "Developing Self-Confidence"
Write Journal entry 14
Due: You will turn in Chap. IV (SQ3R) notes and your On Course journal through entry #14

Week Seven

Monday, 10/1
In class: 1. Collect Chap. IV notes and journals (through entry 14) 2. Case study: The Procrastinators. 3. Resources search: Memorizing for tests

Homework for Wednesday, 10/3:
Read pages 109-118, "Developing Mutually Supportive Relationships & Active Listening "
Write Journal entries 15 and 16

Wednesday, 10/3
In class: Creating and updating your Geocities web sites.

Homework for Friday, 10/5:
Read pages 109-118, "Developing Mutually Supportive Relationships & Active Listening "
Write Journal entries 15 and 16
9:00 a.m. class: Add some "stuff" to your Geocities homepage and email me your URL
10:00 a.m. class: Before you come to class on Friday, log back in to the Geocities account you created in class and try to finish the process by selecting the advertising that will display on your pages (I suggest using "education"), and then select any box in the second section. Third, type the code and press the "submit" button.

Homework for Monday, 10/8:
Read pages 119-134, "Active Listening & Interdependence at Work"
Write Journal entries 17 and 18

Week Eight

Monday, 10/8
In class: 1. Case Study: Professor Rogers Trial 2. Assessing the affirmations process

Homework for Wednesday, 10/10:
Read pages 135-144, "Identifying Scripts & Rewriting Outdated Scripts"
Write Journal entries 19 and 20
Take home quiz: Research and write down what you regard to be the best six suggestions, tips, or techniques for effective test taking. At least one suggestion will relate to what to do before testing, at least one will relate to what to do during testing, and at least one will relate to what to do after testing. Record the source from which you found the information including the title of the book (if it is a print source) and the page numbers; or the title of the website and the URL. Due at the start of class on Wednesday (5 points).

Wednesday, 10/10
In class: 1. Collect the take-home quiz 2. Discuss revising "scripts"

Homework for Friday, 10/12:
Read pages 145-160, "Identifying Scripts & Rewriting Outdated Scripts"
Write Journal entries 21 and 22
Journals Due through Chap 6 (Journal #22) on Monday: Catch up if you are not at that point already

Friday, 10/12
In class: View video and discuss critical thinking skill: How metaphor makes meaning.

Week Nine

Monday, 10/15
In class: A puzzling activity.

Homework for Wednesday, 10/17:
Read pages 161-175, "Discovering Your Learning Style"
"Take Home Quiz": Ask your professors this question: In college how did you manage time in order to get all of your work done and meet all of your obligations?
Write Journal entries 23 and 24

Wednesday, 10/17
In class: 1. Collect the take-home quiz. 2. Do the HBDI's Learning Styles
short form and then the VARK inventory (if we have time for both) and begin an analytical activity related to your learning style.

Homework for Friday, 10/19:
Read pages 176-193, "Lifelong Learning"
Write Journal entries 25 and 26

Friday, 10/19
In class: 1. Collect the take-home quiz. 2. Do the VARK inventory and begin an analytical activity related to your learning style.

Homework for Monday, 10/22:
Read pages 195-207, "Emotional Intelligence"
Write Journal entries 27 and 28

Week Ten

Monday, 10/22
In class: Begin learning analysis essay: Write first body paragraph in class.

Homework for Wednesday, 10/24:
Read pages 208-212, "Emotional Intelligence"
Write Journal entry 29
Due: 1st body paragraph of learning analysis essay (which you started in class on Monday). Topic: myself as an HBDI learner.

Wednesday, 10/24
In class: 1. Play the Graduation Game and apply it to essay writing. 2. Composition workshop: drafting the learning analysis essay: Write the second body paragraph in class. Topic: My VARK learning profile.

Homework for Friday, 10/26:
Read pages 212-223, "Emotional Intelligence"
Write Journal entry 30
Due: 2nd body paragraph of learning analysis
DUE Monday Journals through entry 30

Friday, 10/26
In class: Composition workshop: Draft the third body paragraph in class. Topic: Analysis of one of my professor's teaching style, according to either the HBDI or the VARK criteria.

Homework for Monday, 10/29:
Due: 3rd body paragraph of learning analysis essays
DUE: Journals through entry 30

Week Eleven

Monday, 10/29
In class: Composing workshop: writing learning analysis paragraphs.

Wednesday, 10/31

Friday, 11/2

Homework for Monday, 11/5:
Due: FIVE separate learning analysis paragraphs as follows:

Week Twelve

Monday, 11/5
In class: Composing workshop: 1) finish body paragraphs of learning analysis project. 2) Write blocking outline of learning analysis essay, including plans for the introductory and concluding paragraphs. I will read and give feedback on the drafted paragraphs while you are working on the outline and the introductory and concluding paragraphs.

On-line writing resource: Writing essay introductions and conclusions (from the Guide to Grammar and Writing)

Homework for Wednesday, 11/7:
Due: 1) FIVE separate learning analysis paragraphs. 2) Blocking outline of the essay, including plans for the introductory and concluding paragraphs.

Wednesday, 11/7
In class: Composing workshop: Finish drafting the learning analysis essays by adding the introduction and conclusion.

Homework for Friday, 11/9:
Due: Completed learning analysis essay, at the beginning of class.

Words of wisdom overheard in class on Wednesday, using metaphor as a critical thinking tool:
Supporting details in the essay: "The support is like the evidence that a lawyer provides in court to convince the jury." Very insightful, Nicole.
About concluding paragraphs: "The conclusion is like running a relay race. At the end I want to pass the baton to the reader." (Nicole Hines) Now that's an "AHA!" if ever I've heard one. Well stated, Nicole! You were really on mark during our discussion. I should have let you teach class! ;-)

Friday, 11/9
In class: Learning analysis essay, first draft. It has an introductory paragraph, at least five body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph. We will read some samples from volunteers in class.

Week Thirteen

Monday, 11/12
In class: DUE: Learning analysis essay, first draft. If turned in to me sometime today, it is on time. Two points will be deducted from the final grade for each day the draft of this paper is late (it's a 20-point project). You may give it to me at the start of class or place it in my mailbox in room 852 any time today.

Friday, 11/16
In class: Develop your teaching presentations. I will not be in class with you as I am making a presentation in Richmond today. I'll see y'all on Monday.

Agenda: Start research on your teaching presentation. Why teaching? Here's why.

Week Thirteen point One (HUH?!)

Monday, 11/19
In class: Develop your teaching presentations. Why teaching?
Here's why.

Week Fourteen

Monday, 11/26
In class workshops: Prep.
annotated webliographies

Wednesday, 11/28
In class workshops: 1) Turn in Learning Analysis essays at the start of class.2) Finish Annotated Webliographies, due at the end of class today

Here are some of my online resources that you will probably want to use. It is an annotated webliography for my Center for Teaching Excellence.

Here are a couple models of the final product: a web page with success resources, created by former COL students, Karen Ablonsky and Brittany Campbell.

Friday, 11/30
In class workshops: Revise/edit returned Learning Analysis essays. Consult with your colleagues who are editing experts during the in-class workshop.

Homework (ONLY if you want to): Make a complete elf of yourself!

Week Fifteen

Monday, 12/3
In class workshops: 1) Prep. webfolios 2) Revise/edit/correct Learning Analysis essays & webliographies (which I will return today)

Wednesday, 12/5
In class workshops: 1) Bring marked copy of your annotated bibliography and learning analyusis essay 2) Save essays and bibliographies in htm format and upload to your web site.

Friday, 12/7
In class workshops: Revise/edit/correct/perfect everything in your webfolio, which includes the following:

1. Images of my successful future
  2. Learning analysis essay
  3. Annotated webliography
  4. Your best essay from your Eng 01 portfolio
  5. "My Wisdom" a web page made from journal entry 25
  6. Links to Eng. 109 web site, TNCC web site, and what other links?

Finals: Week Sixteen

Monday, 12/10
10 a.m. class meets today 10-11:45, Workshop: Revise/edit/correct/perfect webfolios

Wednesday, 12/12
9 a.m. class meets today 9-10:45, Workshop: Revise/edit/correct/perfect webfolios

Semester has ended.
Go forth and MAKE the life you wish to live!

(I'll miss you!)

dolphin kis

Return to Mr. D.'s main page