Week 12
Week 13
Week 14
Week 15
Week 16

Over-arching goals of English 3

Class Resources

Important Notice!!

At the start each class, open this web page to look at the agenda for the day. At the end of each class, return to this web page to get your homework assignment and view the agenda for the next class. You'll never miss an assignment, a due date, or an important announcement if you come to this page every day.

--Week One--

Monday 1/9/12 and Tuesday 1/10/12
In-class Activity: Introductions and introduction to the use of Perfect Copy editing lessons

Wednesday 1/11/12 and Thursday 1/12/12
In-class Activity: Draft an essay

Final draft format for essays:

Assignments for Tuesday and Wednesday:
1] Read the
course syllabus and the link to the case study, which is called "Professor Hope's Class." We will discuss this case study before completing the three nearly empty sections of the course syllabus together.
2] Before Feb 6th, purchase Aplia access from the bookstore, or go on line and purchase it. If you are not on financial aid you may purchase Aplia from Cengage.com on line and save yourself $4.00. Use the following ISBN (the electronic "book number") to purchase the correct version of the Aplia Basic English program: 9781428275737

--Week Two--

Tuesday 1/17/12 and Wednesday, 1/18/12
In-class Activity: Practice using Aplia in class by working the tutorial.

Assignments for Thursday and Monday (including the Aplia assignments):
1] Do the Aplia diagnostic test to establish your editing skills baseline and the other three posted Aplia lessons.
2] Before Feb 6th, purchase Aplia access from the bookstore, or go on line and purchase it. If you are not on financial aid, you may purchase Aplia from Cengage.com on line and save yourself $4.00. Use the following ISBN (the electronic "book number") to purchase the correct version of the Aplia Basic English program: 9781428275737

Thursday 1/19/12
In-class Activity: 1] Discuss the case study and finish the three empty sections of the course syllabus. 2] Register with the Aplia program and begin using it.

Assignments for Monday and Tuesday (the Aplia assignments):
1] Do the four posted Aplia assignments. (Getting Started, Diagnostic assessment, Identifying Subjects and Verbs, Identifying Sentence Fragments.)
2] Read about 1] why it is important to understand and use conventional academic and professional prose, and 2] how to speak in more professional ways. We will write about these readings in class next week, so be prepared!

--Week Three--

Monday 1/23/12 and Tuesday, 1/24/12
In-class Activity: Practice using Aplia in class by working the tutorial.

Assignments for Wednesday and Thursday (the Aplia assignments):
1] Do the first four Aplia lessons by Friday night (1/27/12) at 11 p.m. The lessons are [I.] Intro. to Aplia, [II.] diagnostic assessment, [III.] subjects and verbs, and [IV.] avoiding sentence fragments.
2] Read these two articles about [a] why it is important to understand and use conventional academic and professional prose, and [b] how to speak in more professional ways.
3.1] Write one paragraph (in the 1-2-2-2 pattern if you are a *Power Writer), giving three reasons that Eve Carmichael thinks it is important to speak and write with good grammar
3.2] Write a second paragraph (in the 1-2-2-2-2 pattern for *Power Writers), giving the four best ways (in your view) to practice speaking "proper" English, based on the suggestions made by Sarah Metzger Erdemir in her article (link posted above).
*Note on Power Writing: If you do not know how to Power Write, don't fret at this point. I will teach you if you need to know it. However, if you DO know Power Writing, please use the patterns I suggested so that we may use YOUR paragraphs as models for your collegues in class on Weds. or Thurs. Thank you!!
4] Re-read the course syllabus. The section on "Expectations of Instructor" is still empty, so make a list of your expectations of me, that is, how you expect me to foster your success this semester. We will discuss, revise if needed, and agree upon the conduct and deportment sections of the course syllabus.

Wednesday 1/25/12 and Thursday, 1/26/12
In-class Activity for Wednesday: Read the articles and complete the paragraph writing assignments posted above.
In-class activity for Thursday: 1] Complete the course syllabus, 2]

Assignments for Eng. 03-07 (M-W class) for Monday 1/30/12:
1] Read
the Course Rules for Success section of the syllabus. (It includes "Classroom Deportment," "Success Habits Outside of Class," and "Expectations of Instructor.") We will finish the syllabus on Monday, so make a list of your expectations of the instructor, and we will talk about which of these to include in the syllabus.
2] Do Aplia lessons assigned for week of 1/30-2/3

Assignments for Eng. 03-01 (T-Th class) for Tuesday 1/31/12:
1] Read
the Course Rules for Success section of the syllabus. (It includes "Classroom Deportment," "Success Habits Outside of Class," and "Expectations of Instructor.") We will finish the syllabus on Monday, so make a list of your expectations of the instructor, and we will talk about which of these to include in the syllabus.
2] Do Aplia lessons assigned for week of 1/30-2/3

--Week Four--

Monday 1/30/12 and Tuesday, 1/31/12
In-class Activity: Note-taking from lectures. Lecture topic:
the Natural Human Learning Process (NHLP)

Assignments for Eng. 03-07 (M-W class) for Wednesday 2/1/12:
Compose two paragraphs:
Paragraph one summarizes Dr. Smilkstein's six stages of the NHLP. Paragraph two will describe what YOU did in each of those stages as you learned the skill that you discussed with your colleague in class. These two paragraphs should fill up a page when typed and double-spaced in Times New Roman, 12 point font size. You may Power Write these paragraphs if you know Power Writing.

Assignments for Eng. 03-01 (T-Th class) for Tuesday 1/31/12
Compose two paragraphs: Paragraph one summarizes Dr. Smilkstein's six stages of the NHLP. Paragraph two will describe what YOU did in each of those stages as you learned the skill that you discussed with your colleague in class. These two paragraphs should fill up a page when typed and double-spaced in Times New Roman, 12 point font size. You may Power Write these paragraphs if you know Power Writing.

Wednesday 2/1/12 and Thursday, 2/2/12
In-class activities: Finish your paragraphs and leave them in my mailbox in room 852 sometime today; and begin next weeks Aplia lessons. I will not join you in class today as I am presenting at a conference in Little Rock.
Thursday class--same assignment, but you will need to do it in the Academic Computing Lab or elsewhere because the classroom will not be open.

--Week Five--

Monday 2/6/12 and Tuesday 2/7/12
1] Share some of your NHLP paragraphs to discuss how they were completed successfully, and 2] begin composing the next paragraph, on how neurons are similar in structure to trees.

Assignments for Wednesday's class and Thursday's class:
Compose one paragraph
which describes how brain cells are similar to trees in structure and in the way they grow.

Wednesday 2/8/12 and Thursday 2/9/12
Writing workshop: Discuss and then draft one paragraph about how synaptic firing is like spark plug firing, and one paragraph about how emotions affect (i.e., "control") learning. Note: this paragraph will include your own experiences and tell how you will apply this information in your classes this semester and in the future.

Assignments for Monday 2/13/12 and Tuesday 2/14/12:
Finish composing the paragraphs
which we began in class. Note: You may use the following resources to refresh your memory, but do not use any direct quotes from these sources. Close these sources before you write your paragraph so that you do not unintentionally plagiarize.
Resources:

--Week Six--

Monday 2/13/12 and Tuesday, 2/14/12
In-class Activity: 1] Revising body paragraphs into a unified essay. Let's try it by reconstructing Bertrand Russell's essay, "
What I Have Lived For" 2] Discuss the content of the brain development essay from its body paragraphs

Assignments for Wednesday 2/15/12 and Thursday 2/16/12:
Draft the brain development essay following the instuctions I handed out in class today. The draft of the essay will be due at the start of your next class. Further instructions and resources are linked below. (Note to Monday's class: If you were one of the 8 people in class today, I will return the body paragraphs of your brain development essay with my feedback on revising them at the start of class on Weds., so just write the intro. paragraph and the concluding paragraph. Tuesday's class: Your previously written brain paragraphs will be in my mailbox in room 852 by 11:00 on Weds. for you to pick up and revise with my feedback.)
Resources for completing the essay:

Wednesday 2/15/12 and Thursday, 2/16/12
In-class Activity: Peer reviewing brain development essays using the handout I will give you in class (developed from the one I gave you last week for developing the content of the paper) and also the Revision and Editing Checklist from the Guide to Grammar and Writing

Assignments for Monday 2/20/12 and Tuesday 2/21/12:

1. Turn in the entire brain development essay at the start of class. NOTE: If you do not turn this essay in to me at the start of class on Monday or Tuesday, the paper will be late, and I will, therefore, give NO feedback on it, which means it will undoubtedly fail your portfolio.
  2. Listen to "Conjunction Junction" and "Get Your Adverbs" from Schoolhouse Rock
  3. Tues-Thurs class only: Do Aplia lessons (posted in week 5 on Aplia): Progressive tenses, and Fixed Form and helping verbs
  4. Do Aplia lessons (posted in week 6 on Aplia): Coordination, Subordination, Avoiding run-ons, Semicolons and Conjunctive Adverbs.
  5. Revising your earlier work: If I gave you back papers to edit and revise, you will need to refer to the W. W. Norton (Publisher) On-line Handbook for information on what the errors are and how to fix them.
  6. Read this essay about a student who succeeded in the face of great difficulties: "Succeeding Against the Odds." Write out what you take to be the thesis statement for this essay.

--Week Seven--

Monday 2/20/12 and Tuesday, 2/21/12
In-class Activity: Identifying the
thesis statement and the "showing" details (Power 3 sentences) in the essay, "Succeeding Against the Odds."

Assignments for Wednesday 2/22/12 and Thursday 2/23/12:
Draft a one-pager (at least)
telling about someone you know personally or have known personally who, by your definition, has succeeded against difficulties. This person could be YOU!

Video resources (somewhat) related to our study of neuronal development during learning (these may prove useful when revising the brain development essay):

Wednesday 2/22/12 and Thursday, 2/23/12
In-class Activity: 1] Due at the start of class: Brain development essay, if you did not already submit the essay on Monday (or Tuesday). 2] Peer feed back on the successful person draft one-pager.

Note about due dates: The brain development essay is due today. It won't be accepted after Friday of this week, which means I will give no feedback on it. By the end of next week (mid-semester), you will have been assigned to finish your third essay, and we will begin editing all three of them earnestly. We will write two more essays this semester, for a total of five. I won't submit a portfolio unless 80% of all the work for the semester has been completed sucessfully, including essays, paragraph assignments, Aplia and Perfect Copy lessons, and any quizzes. One essay, alone, equals nearly 80% of the total for the semester, so missing one essay almost assures failure. Get 'em done, folks!

Assignments for Monday 2/27/12:
Finish drafting the essay about a successful person
, two to three pages in length when typed, doublespaced, Times New Roman font (appx. 600-750 words). Due at the start of class on monday.

Resources for completing the successful person essay:
little engine that can't

--Week Eight--

Monday 2/27/12 and Tuesday, 2/28/12
In-class Activity: Discuss essay three, which is about how you will be successful this semester in Eng. 3

Wednesday 2/29/12 and Thursday, 3/1/12
In-class: Composing workshop. Finish drafting essay three. In the first part of the body of the essay (i.e., your first body paragraph), you will introduce yourself and say something about why you are in college or what you wish to accomplish this semester. (You did this in the first week of the semester, and I returned those "one-pagers" to you on Monday if you wrote them.) Next you will include a paragraph or two about why "good grammar" and good communication skills are important. (Note: You already wrote about this topic when you responded to the two readings by Metzger and Carmichael in
Week 3. I returned those paragraphs to you on Monday if you wrote them.) Next, you will write a paragraph discussing the specific things you know that you need to work on in order to succeed in Eng. 3. Be specific!! How do you KNOW that you need to work on those skills? The final part of the body of the essay will be one to three paragraphs discussing your plan for achieving your goals in Eng. 3, including homework considerations, resources (some of which I post below), and academic support (in other words, your "human" resources.)

Resources for completing the Eng. 3 success plan essay:

Assignments for Monday 3/12/12 or Tuesday 3/13/12:
Draft of your essay describing your success plan for Eng. 3
Do
the newly assigned Aplia lessons: "ing" modifiers and relative pronouns
RE-do the Aplia lessons in which you scored less than 80% correct answers. We will finish doing and RE-doing the Aplia lessons by march 24th.

--Week Nine--

Monday, 3/12/12 and Tuesday 3/13/12
In-class Activity: Working out problems or questions on the
sentence editing skills exercise to help prepare for editing your Eng. 1 portfolios.

Assignment for Wednesday 3/14/12 & Thursday 3/15/12:
Finish the
sentence editing exercise. Additional instruction for the asignment: In sentence patterns 1-11, identify whether the sentence constructions are simple, compound, complex, or compound-complex and label each correctly. This assignment is DUE at the start of class on Weds. or Thurs.
Assignment for Monday 3/19/12:
Mon-Weds 12:30 class only, finish
the previously unassigned Aplia lessons: ". . .ING Modifiers" and "Relative Pronouns"

Aplia lessons have been reset!
Use the mid-term Aplia scores document I gave you to determine the lessons on which you scored below 80%, and rework those lessons by 4/16/12.

Wednesday, 3/14/12 & Thursday 3/15/12
Due: Turn in the sentence editing assignment
In-class: Editing workshop. 1] Begin revising
, editing, and preparing your first three essays for your portfolio. 2] Mini-conferences with Mr. D. during class workshop.

Assignment for Monday 3/26/12 or Tuesday 3/25/12:
Finish
the following Aplia lessons: Adjectives & Adverbs, Consistent Tense, Consistent Person
As
signment for Monday 3/26/12:
Revision/edits
of the successful person essay due at the start of class. Turn the new version in along with the previous draft that I have already read and made revision and editing suggestion on. Resources for editing and revision:

Assignment for Wednesday 4/16/12:
RE-work
any Aplia lessons on which you scored below 80%. Use the mid-term Aplia grades document I gave you to ascertain the 80% figures.

--Week Ten--

Monday, 3/19/12 In-class: Editing workshop. Consult with Mr. D. on editing, and preparing the successful person essay 2] Mini-conferences with Mr. D. during class on Aplia lessons to re-do related to edting your essay.
Tuesday 3/20/12
Reminder: We will not meet in class on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of this week because I am at the Virginia Community College System's New Horizons conference. Edit your successful person essays, work your Aplia lessons, and then begin editing your other essays to resubmit, showing what you learned from using the Aplia lessons. Follow the assignment timelines posted below.

Assignment for Monday 3/26/12 or Tuesday 3/25/12:
Finish
the following
Aplia lessons: Adjectives & Adverbs, Consistent Tense, Consistent Person
As
signment for Monday 3/26/12:
Revision/edits
of the successful person essay due at the start of class. Turn the new version in along with the previous draft that I have already read and made revision and editing suggestion on. Resources for editing and revision:

Assignment for Wednesday 4/16/12:
RE-work
any Aplia lessons on which you scored below 80%. Use the mid-term Aplia grades document I gave you to ascertain the 80% figures.

--Week Eleven--

Monday, 3/26/12 & Tuesday 3/27/12 In-class: Editing workshop. Consult with Mr. D. on editing, and preparing the successful person essay 2] Mini-conferences with Mr. D. during class on Aplia lessons to re-do related to editing your essay.

Wednesday, 3/28/12 & Thursday 3/29/12
Due: Turn in the
sentence editing assignment if you have not already done so.
In-class: Editing workshop. 1] Using
Perfect Copy to prepare for editing your essays.

Assignments for Monday 4/2/12 and Tuesday 4/3/12:
1] Due at the start of class,
revision/edits of the English 3 success plan essay per my instructions on it.
2] Due at the start of class, edited draft of successful person essay
3] Due at the start of class, the sentence patterns exercise originally posted on Week 9

Note: It's almost never too late to get things turned around, so y'all get going in the right direction if you are off course!

--Week Twelve--

Monday, 4/2/12 & Tuesday 4/3/12 In-class: 1] Turn in two essays and the sentence patterns exercise, 2] Hit me with your best shot! Write out three questions about your most difficult editing problems. What are they? How can I help you to "get it"?

Assignment for Wednesday 4/4/12 and Thursday 4/5/12:
1] Identify
your most difficult paragraph in all of your essays with regard to editing. Your colleagues will discuss and help you edit it in class.
2] Using
"The Least You Need to Know about Editing" web page links as resources,

Wednesday, 4/4/12 & Thursday 4/5/12 In-class: "Editing With the Stars" Show your colleagues your toughest paragraph to edit, and they will teach you what you need to know about getting it all corrected. Everyone will participate in the editing discussion except Mr. D. You have to teach each other and learn from each other. Let's do it!

Assignment for Monday 4/9/12 and Tuesday 4/10/12:
1] Using "The Least You Need to Know about Editing" web page links as resources,

2] After you have completed the editing exercies above, EDIT YOUR PAPERS!! We have three more weeks to edit and perfect our essays, so don't wait until it is too late. It is already MUCH later than you think.

-Week Thirteen--

Monday, 4/9/12 & Tuesday 4/10/12 In-class: Grammar Jeopardy--we play for big money!! (SEE your homework assignment below. Take notes during Grammar Jeopardy.)

Assignment for Wednesday 4/11/12 and Thursday 4/12/12:
1] Take notes on ALL of the questions you individually could not answer during Grammar Jeopardy
2] Use "The Least You Need to Know about Editing"
web page and the links below to STUDY THOSE THINGS YOU MISSED!! Folks, these are the things your portfolio evaluation will be based upon. You must know these editing conventions and show them in your writing in order to go on to English 111.

Wednesday, 4/11/12 & Thursday 4/12/12
In-class Editing Workshop: In consultation with Mr. D. and your colleagues, revise, edit, and perfect your essays for your portfolio. We will do over to the Testing Center to do an assessment today, but first a short class discussion on

Week Fourteen

Monday, 4/16/12 & Tuesday 4/17/12
In-class Activity: Portfolio prep. workshop. Edit, revise, correctly format all your papers; consult with your colleagues and Mr. D. on questions, concerns, sticky issues.

Resources for editing and revision:

Wednesday, 4/18/12 & Thursday 4/19/12
In-class Activity: 1] Portfolio prep. workshop. Edit, revise, correctly format all your papers; consult with your colleagues and Mr. D. on questions, concerns, sticky issues. 2] Prepare for the in-class essay. Note: The advice provided on the eHow article at the previous link suggests times for a one-hour essay. Adjust your time plans accordingly: you have about two and a half hours..

Week Fifteen

Monday, 4/23/12 & Tuesday 2/24/12
In-class Activity: Begin in-class final essay. Try to get your essay completely drafted today, just the first draft of it.

Hey, Doug and Britt, et al: Did anyone see the end of the Yankees at the Bosox game on Saturday? I had to stop watching after the 6th, with the Bosox in an insurmountable 9-0 lead, so I never found out the results. How badly did the Sox spank the boys from the Bronx? Oh, wait, I found the answer on Youtube. Nevermind.

Wednesday, 4/25/12 & Thursday 4/26/12
In-class Activity: Finish in-class essay. Edit, revise, correctly format your final paper.

DUE NOW: Turn in your Eng. 3 portfolio for end-of-semester evaluation.

Week Sixteen

Monday, 4/30/12
In-class Activity: 1] Portfolio conferences. I will meet with everyone today, individually, to discuss your portfolio evaluations, give a semester's end assessment of your progress, and answer any questions you have about next semester in English. 2] Write
the course evaluation

Tuesday, 5/1/12
In-class Activity: 1] Portfolio conferences. I will meet with everyone today, individually, to discuss your portfolio evaluations, give a semester's end assessment of your progress, and answer any questions you have about next semester in English. 2] Write the course evaluation

Return to Mr. D's index page