`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
R. Dollieslager's English 111/ENF 3, T-Th, 7 p.m.
Daily Schedule Spring 2015
Thomas Nelson Community College

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

believe

Don't you just love to edit your papers to make them perfect?

Welcome to Spring 2015 English 111/ENF 3, folks!

Office Hours in room 916: M & W 9:30-10 a.m.; T & Th 12:30.-2 p.m.
HT Campus in room 233: W 6 p.m.-7 p.m.
In my office, room 874: M & W 12:30-2 p.m. T 5 p.m.-7p.m; Th 6 p.m.-7p.m.
Email me at dollier@tncc.edu

Page last Updated: 23 April 2015, 7:00 p.m.

The reading quiz for 2/12: What was the name of the company in the article you read for tonight and why did they lose $2.13 million because of a comma error?

Class Video Resources
Class Internet Resources
Fall Class Schedule
  1. Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  2. What do I need to cite? (1 min.)
  3. Plagiarism: You can't just change a few words! (1 min.)
  4. Quoting and paraphrasing (3 min.)
  5. Citing without quoting (3 min.)
  6. Citing websites (2 min.)
  7. Punctuating in-text citations (6 min)

Mr. D's email address: dollier@tncc.edu

Week 1

Researched Essay Topics:

Grading Criteria for all Essays and projects, and the course syllabus

Week One

Day One discussion topic: Respect & Responsibility = Success in Eng. 111/ENF 3

Tuesday, 1/13 1] Discuss the course syllabus and the habits and characteristics of successful college students. 2] Identifying topic sentences and thesis statements in an essay: "Succeeding Against the Odds" Copy and paste them into a M.S. Word document where they are stated outright; parapharse each in your own words if the topic is not stated outright.

Homework assignment for Tuesday 1/20:

Thursday, 1/15 No class tonight. We will meet as regularly scheduled next Tuesday.

Week Two

Tuesday, 1/20 1] Cornell note taking format. 2] Begin reading/research question #1 from Communicating as a Professional

Homework assignment for Thursday, 1/22:

Thursday, 1/22 Tonight was a wash, folks, due to a combination of two major factors: most of y'all were not prepared for class, and then the technology in the classroom failed us utterly. The result of these two factors was chaos. I have turned in "fix tickets" outlining the technology problems for our Information Technology dept., and I have my own Division office working on follow up with the IT dept. Now, you are going to do YOUR part by being prepared for class so that we can finish the first paraphrasing and documenting assignment and preview the next phase of the project.

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 1/27:

1. Plagiarism Tutorial: ( For 2 points of credit) Do the pretest on the Plagiarism Tutorial from Southern Mississippi University (which is step 1). Have the results sent to your TNCC email address, not mine. Do steps 2-6 in the tutorial after taking the pre-test, and then do step 7, the post-test, and have the results sent to your TNCC email address. THEN copy the pre-test results and the post-test results into one email and send that to me before the start of class on Tuesday, 1/27. If you do not send me this email, or if you have USM send me your results, you will earn 0 points for the tutorial.
  2. View this video after working the tutorial: Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  3. Preview your future professional career in the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Take that link to the O.O.H. and, in the search box at the top right of the index page, type in your future professional field and then read about your future profession. There will be a quiz on this information (2 points of credit), so be prepared!

Week Three

Tuesday, 1/27 1] Turn in the paragraph from the Adams and Weins articles, some of which were turned in last Thursday. 2] Intro to editing lessons from W. W. Norton's Exercise Central 3] "Selective attention" and discussion of revisions of the Adams and Weins paragraph. 4] Quiz on the O.O.H. 5] Begin research question #2

Homework assignment for Thursday, 1/29:

Thursday, 1/29 1] Peer review the paragraph assigned for today. 2] Discuss the topic sentences activity from week one. 3] Ask me about extra credit opportunities! Okay, then, here is how: Attend a College Success Seminar or a cultural event, such as a play or musical or outside lecturer's presentation, and write two pages of notes (from a success seminar or outside lecturer's presentation) or a summary (of the cultural event); turn in your notes and you will earn 2 points of extra credit. You may submit as many as three of these extra credit opportunities, which would equate to an entire letter grade by the end of the semester.

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 2/:3

Week Four

Tuesday, 2/3 1] Begin the "Phase 3" paragraph assignment with a freewrite and a class brainstorm 2] Draft the third paragraph which will discuss what you can do specifically on your own as well as how this class, specifically, and college, in general, will help you to develop at least three specific communication skills which will be expected of you in your future profession.

Very important!! Please note: Folks, if you do not have M.S. Word, log in to BlackBoard, and download Office 365 (you paid for it with your tuition already, so use it!). It is in the top box on the right side of the page. It includes M.S. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.

Homework assignment for Thursday, 2/5

Thursday, 2/5 1] Discuss what we know about 5-paragraph essays, introductory paragraphs, thesis statements, topic sentences, transistions, concluding paragraphs 2] Activity: Reconstructing Bertrand Russell Post-activity focus question: What are Russell's transition methods or devices?

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 2/10: Revising and editing your draft of "Communicating as a Professional"

Week Five

Tuesday, 2/10 1] DO NOT PRINT YOUR ESSAYS until instructed to do so! Peer review "Communicating as a Professional" essays at the start of class 2] Edit/revise and submit "Communicating as a Professional" by break, 8:15. 3] Small group activites: a] Is punctuation important? The Dear John letter. b] Sample sentences from the Grammar Crossword: Write, by corresponding number, a complete and original sentence reflecting the punctuation, grammar, or spelling convention (or error) described in each of the following clues:

Homework assignment for Thursday, 2/12

Thursday, 2/12 1] Turn in the Grammar Crossword sentences. (2 pts.) 2] Reading quiz (There is an Easter egg to help you be prepared for the reading quiz on Thursday.) 2] Begin Sentence and Punctuation Patterns activity (2 points).

Resources for completeing this project (from the Internet Resources box at the top of your class page)

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 2/17

Week Eight

Tuesday, 3/10 1] Adopting a Creator mindset activities: [a] The late Paper case study. [b] Read an excerpt from chapter two of Skip Downing's book, On Course: Strategies for Creating Success in College and in Life. Dr. Downing describes Victim and Creator behaviors in chapter two. However, I want you to read this excerpt and write what you think is his definition of a Creator and of a Victim (capital C and capital V because he uses those terms in a specialized way). Write his definition in your own words because you will be using it in the next essay we write.

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 3/17

Thursday, 3/12 We will not have class tonight because I will be making a conference presentation on Thursday in Asheville N.C.

Week Nine

Tuesday, 3/17 1] Discuss and peer review the two C and V paragraphs. 2] Revise your paragraphs. 3] Discuss paragraph three and the concluding paragraph. Paragraph three will discuss how you should have or could have acted differently, as a Creator, in the situation described in paragraph two (when you played the Victim role). The concluding paragraph will discuss how you can be a Creator now, as a college student, to create the specific outcomes you wish to experience.

Homework assignment for Thursday, 3/19

Week Ten

Tuesday, 3/24 1] Begin the errors analysis project for essay #1, communicating professionally. 2] Discuss and peer review the Creators mindset essay drafts.

Homework assignment for Thursday, 3/26

Thursday, 3/26 1] Turn in the errors analysis project for essay #1, communicating professionally. 2] Discuss and peer review the Creators mindset essays.

Week Eleven

Tuesday, 3/31 1] No class tonight.

Thursday, 4/2 Group project: Editing Sally Student's essay

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 4/7

Week Twelve: Wix Week!

Tuesday, 4/7 1] Turn in Creators mindset essays. 2] Wix Week!! Wix.com webpages workshop: The fun begins! 2.1] When you register, you will want to use your personal email address since this will be your personal site, and you may want to keep developing it past the time that you are a TNCC student. 2.2] There are issues with Wix interfacing with the I. E. browser, so please use Mozilla or Chrome. 2.3] Check out these smashing examples that were created by some of my Fall 2014 Eng 111 students using Wix.com

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 4/14: Begin your Wix.com website for hosting your Eng. 111 class projects. Starter suggestions for what to put on your homepage follow:

Thursday, 4/9 1] Wix Week continues; however, we will not meet face-to-face today as I will be in Richmond for Chancellor's Faculty Advisory Committee. (See assignment posted above, which is what will be "due" on 4/14.)

Week Thirteen

Tuesday, 4/14 1] Collect webfolio URLs. You will need to save and publish your home page in order for the rest of us to access it. 2] Begin Hughes and Orwell project with the reading analysis guide. Folks, this is a class in critical reading and college composition. The first step in reading critically is following instructions, so follow all the instructions on the assignment page for analyzing the readings. In other words, READ the instructions before doing the assignment: don't do it however you want--do it my way. I can't award credit if you don't do it MY way. That's what it means to follow the posted instructions.

Homework assignment for Thursday, 4/15:

Thursday, 4/16 1] Turn in the reading analysis project for "Shooting an Elephant" and "Salvation." 2] Discuss the two essays and how to write summaries. 3] Draft a 150-200 word summary of each of those narrative essays including one or two direct quotes--no more than that.

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 4/21:

Week Fourteen

Tuesday, 4/21 1] Discuss what we know about the lives and work of Hughes and Orwell. 2] Select your topic for the final essay. 2 ] Contributory summary of "Salvation." 2] Discuss documenting the sources

Homework assignment for Thursday, 4/23:

Thursday, 4/23 1] Rough out a graphic blocking outline as a plan for developing your essay in which will show how the story represents a defining moment in Hughes' or Orwell's life. (That will be the thesis of your essay about either Orwell or Hughes.) 2] Begin drafting the essay. (Note: while drafting a researched essay, we are typically diving back into the research itself--that is just part of the process.)

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 4/30:

Week Fifteen

Tuesday, 4/28 Workshop day: Review and tweak Hughes or Orwell defining moment essays; begin revising returned papers and summaries; post revised/final drafts to webfolios. 2] Submit Hughes or Orwell defining moment essays by the end of class.

Homework assignment for Thursday, 4/30:

Thursday, 4/30 Workshop day: 1] \ Submit Hughes or Orwell defining moment essays by the end of class. 2] Revise returned papers and summaries 3] Post revised/final drafts to webfolios

Homework assignment for Tuesday, 5/50: Prepare Webfolios!!

Webfolios will include the following:

Week Sixteen: Final Exam Day

Tuesday, 5/5 1] Revise and edit returned final essay (Orwell or Hughes) and the Creator's mindset essay. (Posted on 3/10. Here is the Grading rubric) Upload final versions to webfolios. 2] Miniconferences and final grading of webfolios during class if finished. 3] Evaluate Eng. 111. 4] Go forth and multiply (or add, subtract, divide, whatever).

Optional, Thursday 5/7 at 7 p.m.-8:40

Optional Additional Finals: You may join at my other Eng. 111 finals on Tues. 5/5 at 1:30-4:00 p.m. and/or Monday 5/11 at 8 a.m.

Webfolios of recent English 111 students' work

Webfolios help

Fall 2014 Eng 111, built with Wix.com

Fall 2013 Eng 111/ENF 3
Spring 2013 111 & 111/ENF 3
Summer 2012 Eng 111

Return to Mr. D's Index page