English Fundamentals 2, Spring 2018
Rick Dollieslager, Thomas Nelson Community College
yoda

Ladies and gentlemen, meet your BRAIN!

Last Updated, 10 January 2018, 12:35 p.m.

lady liberty
I am an Equal Opportunity Educator: I refuse to discriminate against, condone discrimination against, or participate in, or support, or tolerate discrimination against any person based on ethnicity, religion--or lack thereof, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, physical disability, learning disability, sexual identity, or sexual orientation.
Mon & Weds Office Hours 1:00-2:00 and 6:00-7:00
Tues & Thurs Office Hours 11:00-2:00
Office Phone: 757-258-6506

Email me at dollier@tncc.edu

Editing & Study Resources
Class Resources
Class Schedule & MLA documentation
  • The five-paragraph theme
  • Introductory paragraphs video (4 min.)
  • Thesis statements video (4 min.)
  • Editing and Revising checklists to assess your own papers before relying on feedback from others
  • James Madison University's Learning Toolbox. This website includes tools to help you improve in the eight academic areas of Math, Organization, Study Skills,
    Test Taking Skills, Note Taking, Reading, Writing, and
    Advanced Thinking.
  • Study Guides and Strategies cover "how to's" like managing time and class projects, and "what to's" with study outlines, procedures, and summary infomation for subjects in English, math and science, social sciences, etc.

Brain videos and sites:

Week 1

• Avoiding plagiarism by citing sources:

1. Avoiding plagiarism and using MLA documentation style (16 min.)
  2. What do I need to cite? (1 min.)
  3. Plagiarism: You can't just change a few words! (1 min.)
  4. Quoting and paraphrasing (3 min.)
  5. Citing without quoting (3 min.)
  6. Citing websites (2 min.)
  7. Punctuating in-text citations (3 min)
  8. Plagiarism Tutorial: Test your knowledge and misconceptions about plagiarism, and learn why and how to avoid it!
  9. Understanding & Preventing Plagiarism, an excellent web resource on why and how to document sources
Important Notice!!

At the start each class, open this web page to look at the agenda for the day. At the end of each class, return to this web page to get your homework assignment and view the agenda for the next class. You'll never miss an assignment, a due date, or an important announcement if you come to this page every day.

Week One

Wednesday 1/10/18
In-class Activity: 1] Colleagues quiz. 2] Discussion and revision of your Hartman profile into our standard memo format. (A four-point assignment)

Assignments for 2/3:
View and anaylze
the advice of these two professors on how to email your professors: Prof. Richardson's advice. Professor DeCoster's advice.
Take notes from the videos outlining appropriate and inappropriate ways to communicate with your professors via email, the "do's and the don't's" of emailing.

Homework assignment for Wednesday, 1/10/18:

Return to Mr. D's index page

createiv commons placateCreative commons non-commercial placate
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.